SEC to wait until late July before making any decisions on fall sports

<p>The new SEC Commissioner, Greg Sankey, answers questions from the press at the SEC Media Day 2015 in Hoover, Alabama on Monday, July 13, 2015. </p>

The new SEC Commissioner, Greg Sankey, answers questions from the press at the SEC Media Day 2015 in Hoover, Alabama on Monday, July 13, 2015. 

After the Big Ten and other conferences announced alterations to their fall 2020 athletics schedule, the SEC athletic directors met on Monday in Birmingham to discuss possible options.

"We had a productive meeting on Monday and engaged in discussions on a number of important issues that will contribute to critical decisions to be made in the weeks ahead," said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. "The ability to personally interact over the course of an entire day contributed to the productivity of the meeting."

This meeting marked the first time since March that all the athletic directors met in person.

During the meeting, they discussed possible scheduling options and some of the best practices for a healthy environment at athletic events for players, coaches, officials, staff and fans.

They also heard from members of the SEC's Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force. 

"It is clear that current circumstances related to COVID-19 must improve, and we will continue to closely monitor developments around the virus on a daily basis," Sankey said. "In the coming weeks, we will continue to meet regularly with campus leaders via video conferences and gather relevant information while guided by medical advisors. We believe that late July will provide the best clarity for making the important decisions ahead of us."

In a statement to Jamie Hale of ABC 33/40, Auburn Athletic Director Allen Greene said they will wait until late July before making any decisions.

Share and discuss “SEC to wait until late July before making any decisions on fall sports” on social media.