University requires all students to get COVID test before returning to campus

<p>A digitally colorized scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image reveals ultrastructural details of the coronavirus viral particles.</p>

A digitally colorized scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image reveals ultrastructural details of the coronavirus viral particles.

In an effort to return students to campus safely this fall, Auburn University will require all students to be tested within 14 days prior to their return to campus.

The news was announced Thursday in an email to students.

Testing will be led by the Alabama Department of Public Health and the University of Alabama at Birmingham, with the costs of tests covered by CARES Act funding from the state of Alabama.

“Testing students gives us a more complete picture of the health of our campus, which will in turn help us preserve the safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff,” said Auburn President Jay Gogue. “The data collected will inform health strategies in our community and give our state’s public health officials information to help effectively combat the virus.”

Auburn’s decision comes a day after Gov. Kay Ivey announced a statewide mask order which will be effective until the end of July. 

The former basketball arena, Beard-Eaves Coliseum will serve as Auburn’s designated testing site.

Along with the test to return to campus, voluntary random testing will be conducted weekly for students, faculty and staff.

The test results will be kept confidential and the identity of anyone who tests positive will not be made public. 

Share and discuss “University requires all students to get COVID test before returning to campus” on social media.