Gus Malzahn provides COVID-19 updates for Auburn football

Auburn football Gus Malzahn presser on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. 
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Auburn football Gus Malzahn presser on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

While College football’s existence this fall is still in question due to coronavirus, Auburn athletics is following every precaution to keep its athletes and coaches safe. 

Since June 4, Auburn has administered 863 tests to the players or roughly seven tests per player, according to head coach Gus Malzahn. These tests have resulted in a total of 34 positive tests with one member of the coaching staff and 33 players testing positive for COVID-19, per Malzahn. 

According to Malzahn, the most recent rounds of testing, however, has resulted in zero positive tests. 

According to Malzahn, four undisclosed players will continue to sit out for the rest of the week of practice due to protocol, even with the zero positive tests. The four players have been in quarantine in a different dorm than the rest of the athletes to ensure a healthy recovery without putting their teammates at risk. 

“The thing about our team is it has done a lot of sacrificing during the summer,” Malzahn said. “Our team came together and has been accountable to each other... Our players have done a super job.”

With thousands of students returning to campus for the fall semester, which began Monday, Malzahn wants to remind every student that they need to be smart and safe. 

“Hey students, you’re in it with us,” Malzahn said. “Wear your masks. Social distance. Be responsible.”

Share and discuss “Gus Malzahn provides COVID-19 updates for Auburn football” on social media.