How former players are helping Auburn get ready for the 2020 season

<p>Honorary Mic-Man Chris Davis during pregame cheers. Auburn vs Alabama on Saturday, Nov. 25 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Honorary Mic-Man Chris Davis during pregame cheers. Auburn vs Alabama on Saturday, Nov. 25 in Auburn, Ala.

With a conference-only schedule for Auburn this fall, Gus Malzahn understands it’s a unique season for his team. In preparation for the upcoming season, Malzahn has brought in several former Auburn players from the 2010 and 2013 teams to talk with the current roster.

Chris Davis, of Kick Six fame, and Wes Byrum, known game-winning field goals in The Swamp and national championship game, were a couple of the players Malzahn had speak to the players.

The 2010 Auburn team is one of two teams in program history to win a national championship. The Tigers won a school-record, 14 games, and beat six teams in the Top 25 on their way to winning the championship.

The 2013 Auburn team may have lost the national championship game in the closing seconds to Florida State, but the Tigers were famous for their improbable endings to their games such as The Prayer at Jordan-Hare and the Kick Six. 

Now, current players like senior linebacker K.J. Britt are using the advice from players like Davis to chase after a title of their own.

“It’s real important,” Britt said to reporters on Tuesday. “I believe that too many people don’t know how to go forth with their plan… but when you have somebody that comes in and tells you… who already went down this road and let me tell you how to go down this road.”

While Bo Nix, who grew up an Auburn fan, might have already watched these players on Saturdays at Jordan-Hare, being able to learn from them about what it takes to reach the mountain top is vital.

“It goes back to the Auburn Family and the Auburn mentality,” Nix said on Tuesday. “They did come through here and… Auburn’s a different place, and we have different people and different players, and I think getting to hear what they’ve done in 2010 and 2013… I think it’s really important for them to share with us.”

Share and discuss “How former players are helping Auburn get ready for the 2020 season” on social media.