How Tre’ Williams’ journey helped him transition from player to coach

“I always love helping people,” Williams said. “That’s something that I absolutely want to do for the rest of my life, no matter what position I am in.”

<p>Tre' Williams (30) celebrates after recovering a fumble in the first half. Auburn vs Alabama on Saturday, Nov. 25 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Tre' Williams (30) celebrates after recovering a fumble in the first half. Auburn vs Alabama on Saturday, Nov. 25 in Auburn, Ala.

Tre’ Williams’ final snaps inside Jordan-Hare Stadium may have only been in 2017, but the former Auburn linebacker has been busy since that 26–14 victory in the 2017 Iron Bowl.

The former linebacker has worked at FedEx as an operations manager, worked in recruiting at Auburn, had neck surgery, was signed and later cut by the Detroit Lions and most recently played in the XFL before the league suspended operations in early March.

Now, the 2017 Second Team All-SEC linebacker has officially hung up the cleats for good. However, Williams is not stepping away from football for good, as he is now going to become a coach.

Williams will stay in Alabama as he will help coach and teach at Thompson High School in Alabaster, Alabama. Thompson’s website lists Williams as an assistant coach on the football team and as a health and physical education teacher.

While Williams describes his journey since graduating Auburn as a “rollercoaster,” he’s grateful for all of these experiences as he can help show that there is life after football. 

“Just allowing those guys to use me as a resource and also using my testimony with everything that I went through allowed them to understand that there’s life outside of football,” Williams told The Plainsman.

Williams also wants the players to understand that football is over at some point.  

“Don’t make this your life,” Williams said. “This is just something that you do that can provide for your family, but eventually, it’s going to end.”

While Williams may be new to coaching, the desire to help others has been something he’s done a lot of and has wanted to keep pursuing since graduating in 2017.

Whether it was helping host a football camp this summer with Deshaun Davis and Taylor Stallworth — all three Mobile, Alabama natives — or coaching and teaching, Williams enjoys giving back to the community.

Coaching, teaching and community service may keep Williams busy, but he still makes time to stay up to date on Auburn. 

Williams stays in contact with guys on the team like K.J. Britt and checks to see how Britt and other players are doing from time to time. 

Being a few seasons removed from playing at Jordan-Hare has given Williams a newfound perspective. He now understands the many emotions that fans go through when watching Auburn football on Saturdays. 

“It’s bittersweet as a fan because, of course, I love to see them be successful,” Williams said. “I love to see a game played at a high level like that, I love that part. The stress that comes with it as a fan, I do not like it.”

From helping Auburn defeat the No. 1 team in the nation twice in 2017 with wins against Georgia and Alabama to having neck surgery to seeing the XFL close its doors in March and now finding a new opportunity in coaching, Williams has genuinely been on a “rollercoaster” journey. 

For Williams, it all comes back to God at the end of the day. God may have given him the talent to play football, but his gift is helping others. 

“There’s a lot of things we go through in life that’s not for us,” Williams said. “God blessed me with talents and gifts, and football is just a talent. He just gave me the ability to play the sport, but my gift is totally different. My gift is giving back to the kids or even adults, just doing anything within the community, just allowing God to shine his light through me.”

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “How Tre’ Williams’ journey helped him transition from player to coach” on social media.