Auburn adds 517 COVID cases

<p>The Haley Concourse sees less traffic and promotion of campus clubs during Covid-19 pandemic on August 27th, 2020, in Auburn, AL.&nbsp;</p>

The Haley Concourse sees less traffic and promotion of campus clubs during Covid-19 pandemic on August 27th, 2020, in Auburn, AL. 

Auburn University added 517 new positive COVID-19 cases last week according to data released by the University

509 students and 8 employees tested positive between Aug. 22 and Aug. 28. 

Since the beginning of the fall semester on Aug. 17, the University has added a total of 725 cases in two weeks. 

Auburn University tweeted a video on Tuesday in which Dr. Fred Kam, director of the Auburn University Medical Clinic, offers his insight into the current state of the pandemic in Auburn. No Auburn University students are currently hospitalized for COVID-19, Kam said in the video.

"We expect to see multiple spikes, at least 3–4, between now and Nov. 24 — that was expected," Kam said in the video. Nov. 24 is the last day of classes before final exams. 

There are a few ways the community can come out of this pandemic, Kam said. The first way is getting a vaccine that can be mass produced, mass distributed and is readily taken by the public.

The second way is to find a medication that can be taken orally to treat and cure the virus. This is not a very likely possibility at this time, Kam said.

"The third thing is, again, people taking steps to mitigate the spread of the virus, and right now that's the best strategy we have that's working for us as we wait for a vaccine or a medication to come along," Kam said.

Auburn University will release COVID-19 data on Tuesday each week, according to their website. 

Share and discuss “Auburn adds 517 COVID cases” on social media.