Report: Cam Newton named Patriots starting quarterback

<p>Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers quarterback and former Auburn quarterback, watches the videoboard for a replay during the second half. Alabama vs Auburn on Nov. 28. (File photo)</p>

Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers quarterback and former Auburn quarterback, watches the videoboard for a replay during the second half. Alabama vs Auburn on Nov. 28. (File photo)

Cam Newton, the former Auburn Heisman winning quarterback, has been named the New England Patriots’ starting quarterback, according to a report from The Boston Globe and the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Newton signed with New England on June 28th to a one-year deal after being released by the Carolina Panthers in March.

After being drafted first overall in the 2011 NFL Draft, Newton spent nine seasons with the Panthers organization. 

Newton led the Panthers to four playoff apperances in his nine seasons at the helm. His most successful season up to this point was in 2015 where he helped lead the Panthers to a 15—1 regular season record enroute to a Super Bowl apperance. That same season Newton took home the league MVP with 35 passing touchdowns and 10 rushing touchdowns. 

The former league MVP and the Patriots open the season on Sept. 13, against the Miami Dolphins in Foxborough, Massachusetts, at noon CST.

Newton will be taking on former Auburn defensive back and first round pick Noah Igbinoghene who was drafted 30th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Share and discuss “Report: Cam Newton named Patriots starting quarterback” on social media.