Tyrone Truesdell and newcomers preparing for a 'good' season at defensive tackle

Tyrone Truesdell (94) and Tashawn Manning (56)
Auburn football practice in shells on Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. 
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Tyrone Truesdell (94) and Tashawn Manning (56) Auburn football practice in shells on Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

While it’s been a recent trend for defensive linemen to pick smaller numbers like Marlon Davidson wearing No. 3 and Derrick Brown wearing No. 5, Tyrone Truesdell, who wears No. 94, is old school.

“But for some reason, 94 just fits me, I just like 94,” Truesdell said. “It’s just like those are numbers they wanted to come in with, kinda like a new thing with, bigger guys liking those single-digit numbers, just a little, I guess, swag to it. But me, I’m old fashioned, I like 94.”

The old fashioned No. 94 is going to be looked at as a leader at defensive tackle this season with Brown gone.

Before his junior year, Truesdell had 15 total tackles in his first two years. In his junior year, he became a key piece behind Brown, ending the season with 31 tackles and three sacks.

Working behind Truesdell is a class of freshmen and former JUCO players, all looking for an opportunity to play this season. Truesdell is excited to see what the incoming group can do for Auburn this fall. 

“Really, the whole class that came in, they’ve been on it,” Truesdell said. “They’re a real mature group. They watch film. They learn the plays and watch the older guys, and they follow us. I feel like they’re going to be some real beasts during the season, all of them. I can’t think of one that’s not on their game.”

While the defensive tackles this season may not have the preseason hype surrounding them as Brown did, Truesdell is looking forward to seeing what this group does to opposing offenses this fall. 

“I feel like this season is going to be good for us as defensive tackles,” Truesdell said.

Trusedell and the revamped defensive line will start their season Sept. 26 against Kentucky.

Share and discuss “Tyrone Truesdell and newcomers preparing for a 'good' season at defensive tackle” on social media.