Auburn in the NFL - Week 6

<p>Jamel Dean (12)&nbsp;reaches to swat the ball&nbsp;out of the air. Auburn vs Ole Miss on Saturday, Oct. 7 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jamel Dean (12) reaches to swat the ball out of the air. Auburn vs Ole Miss on Saturday, Oct. 7 in Auburn, Ala.

Week 6 of the NFL season saw several former Auburn Tigers take the field for their NFL teams, including one record-setting performance by Cam Newton. 

New England Patriots' quarterback Cam Newton went 17-of-25 in passing with 157 passing yards and two interceptions in the team’s 18-12 loss to the Denver Broncos. Newton also added 76 rushing yards and a touchdown on 10 carries and a 16-yard reception from wide receiver Julian Edelman. 

On Sunday, Newton reached the 5,000 career rushing yards mark, making him the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for 30,000 yards and rush for 5,000 yards in a career. He joined Michael Vick as the only quarterbacks in NFL history to rush for 5,000 yards in their career.

The former Auburn quarterback currently leads the Patriots in rushing scores with four and is second on the team in rushing yards. Newton is second in rushing touchdowns by a quarterback and fourth in rushing yards by a quarterback this season, despite playing in two fewer games than those ranked above him. 

Patriots’ cornerback Jonathan Jones recorded his first interception since 2018 on Sunday and added four total tackles and three passes defended. Jones’ interception came off an overthrown pass by Broncos quarterback Drew Lock late in the fourth quarter, setting up the Patriots with a potential game-winning drive. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive backs Carlton Davis and Jamel Dean recorded a combined eight total tackles and five passes defended in the team’s 38-10 win over the Green Bay Packers. 

Dean recorded his third career interception, returning it 32 yards for a touchdown that began a 28-point second quarter for Tampa Bay. 

New York Giants' wide receiver Darius Slayton caught two of his four targets for 41 yards and a touchdown in New York’s 20-19 win over the Washington Football Team. Slayton has led the Giants in receiving yards in five of six games that New York has played in this season. 

Carolina Panthers' defensive tackle Derrick Brown recorded three tackles and a tackle for a loss in a 23-16 loss to the Chicago Bears. Brown also had a quarterback pressure that led to an interception for the Carolina defense. 

Darius Slayton

Derrick Brown

Cam Newton

Jonathan Jones

Jamel Dean

Share and discuss “Auburn in the NFL - Week 6” on social media.