Auburn volleyball tabbed to finish last in SEC Preseason Coaches Poll

<p>Auburn players Chesney McClellan (7) and Lily Thomason (9) jump to hit the ball at the Auburn v. Mississippi Volleyball Game in Auburn, Al on November 1st.</p>

Auburn players Chesney McClellan (7) and Lily Thomason (9) jump to hit the ball at the Auburn v. Mississippi Volleyball Game in Auburn, Al on November 1st.

Auburn volleyball has a lot to prove heading into the 2020 season as it was picked to finish last in the SEC Preseason Coaches Poll.

The Tigers had an unfavorable season in 2019, going 7-22 overall and winning only one SEC game. Their downfall sits within the multiple errors from the team on both sides of the ball. 

Following the disappointing season, Auburn fired Rick Nold and hired Brent Crouch to be the new head coach.

Auburn is bringing back some heavy hitters including junior Tatum Shipes who led the team with 269 kills but averaged a .127 hitting percentage.  On the defensive side, senior Payton White led the team with 325 digs averaging 3.16 digs per set. 

Despite returning these players, Auburn had no members on the All-SEC Team this year. 

The Kentucky Wildcats were at the top of the preseason poll followed by Florida. The Tigers' first game will be against the Gators. 

The 2020 SEC volleyball season will begin Oct. 16 while Auburn will play its first game on Oct. 21 in Auburn Arena against the Gators.

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball tabbed to finish last in SEC Preseason Coaches Poll” on social media.