Behind Enemy Bylines — The Reveille

Arik Gilbert during the first half of a game between LSU and Missouri at Memorial Stadium in Columbia, Missouri on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2020. Photo via SEC Media Portal.

Ahead of Auburn's matchup with LSU, The Auburn Plainsman reached out to The Reveille's sports editor, Natasha Malone, for a Q&A previewing this year’s LSU team. Here’s what she had to say before the matchup.

Q: How do you expect LSU’s offense to do against Auburn’s defense?

A: I expect LSU’s offense to keep doing what they have been doing. They will control what they can control and try and perfect the small thing. With Myles Brennan being out, it’s sure to switch up the playbook a little, but I expect true freshman quarterback T.J. Finely to keep up where Brennan left. Finely will get tested by Auburn, but if he’s able to stay poised like he did against South Carolina, I think it will be a good match.

Q: How do you expect LSU’s defense to do against Auburn’s offense?

A: LSU’s defense as a whole has been very inconsistent so far. The front 7 has shown glimpses of greatness. They have been able to apply pressure to opposing quarterbacks, getting them out of the pocket and forcing them into third and long situations, so I would expect Bo to see the same. 

The secondary is where things get a little difficult. Many young, inexperienced players have resulted in blown coverages, but they have also found a little success. Derek Stingley has been nursing a slight injury and true freshman Elias Ricks has 4 picks on the season, it will be interesting to see how Auburn’s wideouts matchup against them.

Q: What’s the mood around the program?

A: LSU has championship-level expectations every year. It’s always a reload not rebuild mentality. Despite winning it all last year, this year is no different. The team and coaching staff know that they haven’t showcased all of their talents. The team is hungry to show what kind of team they’re capable of being.

Q: Who are some players to look out for on both sides of the ball for LSU?

A: On offense, keep an eye out on WR Terrece Marshall Jr. he has been on an absolute tear, averaging two or so touchdowns a game. He has the same capabilities that Chase and Jefferson have. 

He might give LSU back-to-back Biletnikoff Award winners. In addition to him, you’ll see a combination of running backs. Ty Davis-Price, John Emery Jr. and Chris Curry. Expect LSU to utilize all 3 backs in different yardage situations. 

Defensively up front are two grad transfers Jabril Cox and Ali Gaye they will be the ones applying most of the pressure upfront. Both have made a huge impact in previous games and expect nothing different against Auburn. 

B.J. Objulari, a true freshman defensive end, led LSU with 3 sacks again South Carolina. I would keep his name in the mix as well. Other notable names in the secondary again include Derek Stingley Jr. who when healthy is one of the best players in all of college football.

Score prediction?

LSU 42-38.

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Behind Enemy Bylines — The Reveille” on social media.