No. 14 Auburn has 'disappointing' 1-1 draw with Kentucky

<p>Auburn Tigers defender Sara Houchin (12) during the match between Auburn and Mississippi State at Auburn Soccer Complex on Sep 18, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn Tigers defender Sara Houchin (12) during the match between Auburn and Mississippi State at Auburn Soccer Complex on Sep 18, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA. 

On Saturday, Kori Lockley had the ball land in front of her with only Brooke Littman, the Kentucky goalkeeper, between her and the back of the net. The ensuing shot attempt sailed over the crossbar as time expired in the second overtime period. 

No. 14 Auburn tied with a 10-player Kentucky squad, 1-1 in double overtime on Saturday.

“For our team, we’re disappointed with the result,” said head coach Karen Hoppa. “We need to learn from this game. We’ve got a young group. We’re going to get better and make some adjustments and look to improve from this game before we play again.”

10 minutes into the contest, Kentucky center back Marie Olesen was sent off with a red card after fouling Auburn's Sydney Richards. The Wildcats spent the rest of the game with just 10 on the field, but it looked like they still had 11 out there because of their defensive pressure.  

Auburn may have controlled possession, but the Tigers struggled to create chances. Auburn had nine shots in the first half, but none of those were shots on goal. 

“Full credit to Kentucky,” head coach Karen Hoppa said. “They defended outstanding being a man down for so long. They really did a great job staying with the game and getting the goal at the end to tie it up.

Coming out for the second half, Auburn's offensive attack had new life. A Tigers' corner kick forced a mis-punch from Littman that fell in front of Sarah Houchin and she slotted it into the back of the net. 

Auburn was up 1-0 and looked to maintain the lead for the remainder of the second half.  

Few scoring opportunities presented themselves for either team throughout the remainder of the game, but the Wildcats capitalized on one of those opportunities late in the game. 

Kentucky's Emily Hahnel benefited from an Auburn defensive mistake and scored the equalizer as the ball bounced off Hahnel's stomach and rolled into the back of the net. 

Auburn backup goalkeeper Dani Kaufman earned the start since Maddie Prohaska was suspended a game after picking up a red card in the last match against Georgia. Kaufman had three saves in a game where she only faced four shots on goal. 

No. 14 Auburn will travel to Fayetteville, Arkansas, to take on Arkansas on Oct. 30 at 6:30 p.m. CST. The game will be broadcasted on SEC Network plus. 

Share and discuss “No. 14 Auburn has 'disappointing' 1-1 draw with Kentucky” on social media.