Students seek out usual study spaces in an unusual time

Large study areas in the library have been broken up into smaller areas to allow for social distancing.

Many students may study at home, but some with on-campus classes are returning to the library and other safe spaces to study.

Kevin Haskins, junior in business, said he occasionally uses the library as a study space while on campus.

“I only have two in-person classes, so I use the library when I have a big exam or project to do,” Haskins said. 

Ralph Brown Draughon Library has modified its hours and requires students to wear masks under Auburn’s “A Healthier U” initiative. The library is encouraging students to social distance by taping off chairs and sections on each floor. There are enter and exit signs to help direct traffic in and out of the library for social distancing purposes.

Social distancing is much easier for students to follow with all the precautions and fewer students in the library. These precautions are meant to keep students and staff safe while using library resources. 

“I definitely feel safe walking into the library, but I also try to limit the amount of time I spend inside campus buildings and on campus in general,” Haskins said. 

Study rooms are often rented and help students seclude themselves from others. Sanitization wipes are provided for students to wipe down the room before and after using it. 

“Wearing my mask is not fun, so I rent out one of those rooms in Mell,” Haskins said. “That way I can study for an hour or two without my mask on.” 

Students with on-campus classes are still utilizing the library, but they are also studying in other University buildings. 

Jane Wallace, junior in chemical engineering, said she studies in Brown-Kopel Engineering Student Achievement Center. 

“I tend to study in the engineering building a few times a week for a few hours,” Wallace said.

Along with a 50-seat classroom and laboratories, Brown-Kopel provides students with study rooms for large and small groups. Some computers are blocked off, and glass panels separate people sitting at tables as safety precautions. Similar to the library, there are many signs encouraging students to social distance and wear masks.

“All my classes are online, and I like to have a separate study space from my home environment, which I keep as a space for relaxation,” Wallace said. 

Brown-Kopel is accessible for students who may not live as close to the library and provides an environment for students within all engineering majors to feel comfortable.

“It’s pretty close to my apartment, and I like the work spaces they have, so I feel super comfortable studying their with my boyfriend and a few friends in my major,” Wallace said. 

Many students, like Wallace, study at off-campus apartment complexes that provide study spaces for their residents. 

“I also study at my friend’s apartment complex,” Wallace said. “They have study rooms there.” 

The University’s “A Healthier U” initiative is continuing to implement guidelines and COVID-19 updates to provide safe environments across campus for students to continue studying and attending class.

Share and discuss “Students seek out usual study spaces in an unusual time” on social media.