Volleyball loses first match on the road against South Carolina

Oct 21, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers Marissa Hines (12) during the game between Auburn and Florida at Auburn Arena.

Auburn volleyball had its first road match of the 2020 season and fell short in a three-set sweep to South Carolina Wednesday night. 

Auburn fought off multiple set points throughout the match, with the Tigers' strongest performance coming in the final set. 

The Tigers went on a 7-0 run to cut South Carolina’s lead to three before the Gamecocks scored to end the run.

The Tigers capitalized on Gamecock errors and were strong at the service line to go on a strong run late before South Carolina won the final set.

Wednesday’s match saw the collegiate debut of freshman setter Jackie Barrett. Barrett missed Auburn’s season opener against No. 4 Florida due to injury but had a strong performance in her debut. 

Barrett had 19 total assists and was a big part of Auburn’s 7-0 run late in the third set with two aces. Defensively, Barrett had five digs and performed well at the net with a pair of blocks.

Junior outside hitter Val Green had another strong performance with eight kills, a season-high for Green. Head coach Brent Crouch’s aggressive style of offense allowed Green to have a match-high 40 attempts. 

Tatum Shipes had a season-high six kills and added a block and four digs.

Auburn’s middles had a solid night on offense, with Jaeden Brown having a season-high five kills on .333 attacking percentage, while senior Chesney McClellan added three kills. 

McClellan led with four blocks and Brown picked up two. The Tigers ended the night with six total blocks.

Starting libero, senior Payton White played in her third straight match and recorded nine digs. Junior Bella Rosenthall added seven digs and dished out three assists.

The Tigers will get another opportunity against South Carolina on Thursday, Oct. 29, at 3:30 p.m. CST.  

Share and discuss “Volleyball loses first match on the road against South Carolina” on social media.