Outreach program creates Auburn’s mosaic works

<p>Elementary and middle school students contributed design ideas for the mosaic benches.</p>

Elementary and middle school students contributed design ideas for the mosaic benches.

In the Donald E. Davis Arboretum, between the tall oak trees and the sunlit pond, mosaic benches are placed around the pathways. These benches are one of the many sights to see when taking a stroll. 

Kay Stone, who previously worked for the Auburn University Museum of Natural History before retiring, oversaw the creation of these mosaic benches. Along with Stone, Linda Munoz, a mosaic and stained glass artist, helped with the creative process and creation of the benches.

These benches were a community project and Stone organized an effort to get elementary and middle school students involved in the creation of the benches.

“The primary participants were school students from D.C. Wolfe Elementary in Macon County and South Highlands Middle School in Bullock County,” Stone said. “Auburn students and volunteers helped throughout the process.” 

The mosaic benches in the arboretum are not the only projects that were carried out and completed; there are many other mosaic creations that have been placed around campus. 

“Over the 10 years that we incorporated mosaic art into the outreach program, we completed 21 benches, 20 plus stepping stones and three mosaic quilts that hang in schools,” Stone said. “One of the neat aspects is that we were able to incorporate math, chemistry and history activities into the projects.” 

The inspiration for the benches comes from a variety of different places.

“Some were representative of school colors, names, mascots,” Stone said. “Most had a nature theme such as the tree and biodiversity benches at the arboretum.” 

Stone helped with the organization of this outreach program and began working with Linda Munoz around 2008 on the creation of these mosaic projects.

“I was looking for art projects that could supplement classroom subjects, enhance the aesthetic of public places, give students a sense of pride and ownership in their communities,” Stone said.

Munoz is a retired registered nurse turned mosaic artist. Stone mentioned that her creativity helped the creation of these mosaic benches.

Munoz also brought to light a connection between the mosaic benches at the arboretum and another mosaic project called “A River Runs Through It” located in Mentone, Alabama. 

The leftover mosaic pieces that had been used for the benches in the arboretum were donated to the “A River Runs Through It” project by Kay Stone. They were used to create a mosaic staircase leading to a waterfall in Mentone, Alabama. Munoz helped carry out the “A River Runs Through It” project as well and continues her work in mosaics today.

“Kay donated hundreds of dollars worth of glass for the project,” Munoz said. “All of the glass that was donated from that went on to help create 43 of the steps going down to the waterfall.” 

This project created a connection between Auburn and the many others who will walk down these steps. From one art piece to another, the shattered mosaic glass binds the Auburn community and the greater Alabama community together. 

“We couldn’t have done that without Auburn’s contribution,” Munoz said.

Share and discuss “Outreach program creates Auburn’s mosaic works” on social media.