Sharife Cooper named SEC Freshman of the Week

Jan 9, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers guard Sharife Cooper (2) reacts during during the game between Auburn and Alabama at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn point guard Sharife Cooper has been named the SEC Freshman of the Week. Cooper’s honor is the second time a Tiger has been recognized this season, joining Justin Powell. 

In Cooper’s college debut he scored a game-high 26 points, adding nine assists, four rebounds and three steals against Alabama. 

Cooper’s 26 points tied him with Powell and Eddie Johnson for the highest point total by an Auburn freshman in their debut in school history. 

His total point, assist and steal numbers tied him at the top of any season-high totals by an Auburn player this year. 

Powell and Cooper are the only two freshman in the country to score 26 points and dish out nine assists in a game. 

Auburn made 29 field goals on the day in the tight fought contest against the Crimson Tide. Cooper scored or assisted on 16 of them, in his team-high 33 minutes of playing time. 

The former five-star recruit scored 20 of the Tigers 54 second half points, which is the first time an Auburn player has had 20 in a half since J’von McCormick against Mississippi State last January. 

The Tigers, on a four-game SEC losing skid, head to Georgia to face the Bulldogs on Wednesday, Jan. 13. 

Share and discuss “Sharife Cooper named SEC Freshman of the Week” on social media.