Auburn soccer dominates Kennesaw State for 5-0 win

Auburn soccer celebrates a goal against Arkansas in the SEC tournament. Photo contributed by Auburn Athletics.

Auburn soccer returned to the field on Friday to start its spring portion of the 2020-21 season and resumed play with a decisive 5-0 win over Kennesaw State at home.

“We are really proud of the girls’ effort tonight,” said head coach Karen Hoppa. “It has been a long time since our last game, and we thought we picked up where we left off in November.”

The Tigers had 5 shots on goal in the first half, and four found the back of the net. 

Four of Auburn's five goals came from freshmen. Olivia Candelino, Marissa Arias, Maddie Simpson and Hannah Waesch were the freshmen to get on the scoresheet. 

“Obviously, it was also great to see four freshmen get their first career collegiate goals tonight,” Hoppa said.

Fellow freshman Anna Haddock had herself a night finishing with four assists. Haddock had a goal turned into an assist after teammate Kori Locksley tapped in a goal-bound deflection to give Auburn the opening goal. 

“It was really awesome to finally see the offensive production we’ve been waiting for, especially with four girls scoring their first goals and getting to share that with each other,” Haddock said. “The good combination play is what we wanted to build off from the fall and will continue to do this spring.”

Auburn soccer will look for another solid outing when they host LSU at the Auburn Soccer Complex on Friday at 6:30 p.m. CST. 

Share and discuss “Auburn soccer dominates Kennesaw State for 5-0 win” on social media.