Auburn softball prepping for Osprey/Dolphin Invitational

Feb 14, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Justus Perry (18) after the game between Auburn and Southeast Missouri State at Jane B Moore Field. Mandatory Credit: Matthew Shannon/AU Athletics

Auburn softball is traveling to Jacksonville, Florida, for the Osprey/Dolphin Invitation on Friday and Saturday. The invitational includes Jacksonville University, University of North Florida and No. 19 South Carolina. 

Auburn started its season with a sweep of Southeast Missouri State at Jane B. Moore Field this past weekend. The sweep was headlined by freshman Maddie Penta throwing a no-hitter in her college debut. 

“We really made a statement,” said Auburn senior Justus Perry. 

Auburn swept the three-game series winning 8-0, 5-1 and 3-1. 

“We did a nice job of controlling each game,” said Auburn head coach Mickey Dean. “I was proud of the way we played.”

Auburn starts the invitational on Friday against No. 19 South Carolina at 12 p.m. This will be the first time South Carolina will take the field this season. 

“It’s gonna be important to see where we are at before it becomes really crucial,” Perry said.  

Auburn will take on Jacksonville University on Friday at 5 p.m. Jacksonville started its season in the River City Leadoff, defeating Boston College twice. They were scheduled to play three other games, but they were canceled. 

On Saturday, the Tigers will take on No. 19 South Carolina at noon in a rematch of the two SEC schools in the invitational. 

Auburn’s final opponent in the invitational will be North Florida. North Florida started its season at the River City Leadoff, where they went 1-3 in games against Illinois State, Clemson and Boston College. Auburn will take on North Florida on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. to conclude the trip. 

Share and discuss “Auburn softball prepping for Osprey/Dolphin Invitational ” on social media.