Auburn University Dance Marathon goes virtual

<p>Students participate in AUDM's 2020 Dance Marathon on Feb. 15, 2020 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Students participate in AUDM's 2020 Dance Marathon on Feb. 15, 2020 in Auburn, Ala.

Students will get their groove on for charity virtually this year. Auburn University Dance Marathon will be holding its main event from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. via Zoom on Saturday, Feb. 13 instead of in the Harold D. Melton Student Center due to University-wide COVID guidelines.

“This year’s main event will be virtual for participants and in person for staff members to execute the operations side of things while following the guidance of Auburn University to ensure all COVID guidelines are followed,” said AUDM president Jonathon Cuff, senior in finance.

Auburn University Dance Marathon fundraises for the Piedmont Columbus Regional Hospital in conjunction with the Children’s Miracle Network, a nonprofit organization that raises funds for over 170 children’s hospitals in the U.S.

The main event acts as a representation of “yearlong efforts of raising funds and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals,” Cuff said.

“We have entertainment, Miracle families present[ing] their stories, fundrais[ing], and much more,” he said.

Lauren Stanley, junior in philanthropy and nonprofit studies, is the assistant director of fundraising and has been involved in AUDM since her freshman year. She said that the team is keeping up morale by “reminding one another of our ‘why’, or our reason for being involved,” in addition to “the cause we are fighting for and the struggles our Miracle families face every day.”

Cuff said AUDM will step up to the plate to make the main event as normal as possible for the event’s staff, participants and hospital staff members from Piedmont Columbus Regional Hospital and Miracle families.

AUDM staff and participants remain vigilant to provide a high level of enthusiasm and support for the virtual main event because of the impact their work has on the community.

Christi Lukasiak, star of the reality TV show Dance Moms, which aired on Lifetime from 2011-2019, will feature at AUDM this year.

“Dance Marathon brings inspiration to the Auburn community,” Stanley said. “Despite any challenges we face, we always remember the struggles our Miracle kids and families have faced. We are grateful to have an opportunity to serve them and bring joy to their lives. We are thankful for the ability to adapt and overcome the obstacles we are facing. No matter what, we will remain optimistic and focused on raising awareness and money for the kids.”

Cuff said he is passionate about leading AUDM this year because he feels it is a “privilege and a blessing” serving others.

“Every kid deserves a healthy and happy life,” Cuff said. “AUDM has given me so much through my time as an Auburn student. It has given me a higher purpose in life, lifelong friendships and the ability to do a good deed.”

Share and discuss “Auburn University Dance Marathon goes virtual” on social media.