Midtown Auburn offers pop-up shops and restaurants

<p>One of the many new stalls open at the Midtown Bodegas.</p>

One of the many new stalls open at the Midtown Bodegas.

If you are in or near the Midtown Auburn subdivision on Opelika Road, you may have noticed people walking in those small house-like structures empty-handed, and leaving out with delicious goods. Inside those buildings are pop-up restaurants ready to serve those who are want to satisfy their appetite.  

Are you craving a freshly brewed beverage or mouthwatering desserts? Well, Ross House Coffee and Roastery in Midtown Auburn has you covered. The temporary establishment relies on the support of customers who are familiar with its original and historic location on Ross Street, and the taste buds of new consumers in the area. 

Toni Holt, owner of The Ross House Coffee and Roastery, said she was content with her original locations and did not plan to open a new business. However, she was approached by property holders to open a new location and accepted the offer and was thrilled to extend the operation without hesitation. 

The Ross House Coffee and Roastery in Midtown Auburn opened in August 2020. Since it opened, Holt said the store has seen an incredible amount of profit. Customers love their distinctive latte art and baked avocado toast, but there are a few novelty drinks and snacks on the menu that gained notoriety within the subdivision. 

“Our specialty lattes and Chai teas are our biggest sellers,” Holt said. “Our Hot Chocolate Bombs that explode in your drink with marshmallows and candy when steamed milk is poured over it, is a top seller in Midtown.”

Holt said that she has received positive feedback from the community. She said members in the area have called the shop “cute and fun.” 

At the Midtown location, customers can relax outdoors in the quiet courtyard area while enjoying the aroma of coffee and treats. Holt said this is beneficial to customers considering that COVID-19 regulations are in place. 

“I am proud of the pop-up location because it gives us more exposure to another area of town,” she said. “I plan to stay for a long time because I feel like it will keep growing. I plan to keep growing it and coming up with great marketing ideas to keep it strong.”

From savory to salty, dill pickle to caramel, some would say that The Auburn Popcorn Company is a staple in the community. Praised for its gourmet corn kettles and homemade ice cream, the business has solidified its spot in being one of the best popcorn shops in town. 

Stanley Andrews, owner of The Auburn Popcorn Company, wanted to expand his business beyond the bustling atmosphere of Downtown Auburn. So, he brought one of the oldest and most iconic snack foods of all time to the subtle subdivision. 

Andrews said his downtown business is a tourist attraction. By adding another location to the other parts of the Auburn-Opelika area, popcorn lovers would have an opportunity to enjoy the treat without having to commute across the city. Sales were skyrocketing, so he added another location to assist the original store. 

“My original store serves a lot of customers and tourists in the area. I was thinking, ‘I’ve got the tourist spot sealed, what I needed was a spot to alleviate pressure off my downtown store,’” Andrews said. “I’m not just focused on students, but residents in both Auburn and Opelika who want to enjoy unique popcorn without having to go downtown and worrying about parking and long lines.”

Some ice cream flavors are not available at the Midtown location. However, the establishment will add your choice of drizzle or seasoning to your choice of popcorn. Assorted snacks and candy bars aid with sales along with a variety of different flavored shakes in Midtown as well.  

Though business is steady when students leave for breaks, Andrews said he makes the most profit when classes are in session. He plans to remain at the pop-up location for many months to come, and he hopes to see it grow to be as large as the downtown store. 

“The Midtown location is the new and up and coming in this small community,” he said. “It has the potential to be grand. I want to see it on the level of the original location in downtown Auburn, but I know it will take some time. It has been receiving positive responses from folks and, it will be a matter of time before it takes off.”

Share and discuss “Midtown Auburn offers pop-up shops and restaurants ” on social media.