Scott-Grayson shines as Auburn falls to Alabama

Feb 14, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers guard Honesty Scott-Grayson (23) works around Alabama Crimson Tide guard Megan Abrams (1) during the game between Auburn and Alabama at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn fell at home to Alabama in Auburn Arena, 92-78, on Sunday night. With the loss, Auburn falls to 5-15 on the season and 0-12 in SEC play. 

“It’s tough to win a game giving up 92 points,” said Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy. “We gotta play better defense.” 

Auburn only gave up two points off turnovers, but gave up 90 in its half-court defense. 

After the first quarter, Alabama had doubled up on Auburn and led 22-10. 

The Tigers kept things even in the second quarter, going into halftime down 39-27. But in the third quarter, the Alabama floodgates opened. The Crimson Tide scored 28 points in the third quarter to extend their lead going into the final quarter.

Alabama shot 50% from the field and 53% from behind the arc. Alabama’s Jasmine Walker finished the night with 41 points and 15 rebounds. Walker shot 7-13 from 3-pt. 

“If there is anyone you’re gonna guard, you’re gonna guard [Jasmine Walker],” Williams-Flournoy said. 

Honesty Scott-Grayson shined on the court for Auburn with 25 points and three rebounds. The Baylor transfer scored 14 points in the first half. In the second half, the redshirt sophomore dealt with foul trouble but still managed to put up 11 points. 

“You take her out. You take out our scoring,” Williams-Flournoy said of Scott-Grayson. 

Senior Unique Thompson took over in the second half scoring 20 points. The senior finished just four rebounds shy of career double-double No. 56. Thompson finished her night with 24 points and six rebounds. With Thompson's six rebounds tonight, this leaves her 10 rebounds short of the Auburn career rebound record. 

Auburn will look to get in the win column in SEC play on Thursday at 8 p.m. CST when they take on Mississippi State at the Humphrey Coliseum. 

Share and discuss “Scott-Grayson shines as Auburn falls to Alabama” on social media.