SGA leaders sworn in at Monday night senate

<p>&nbsp;SGA Election Night&nbsp;</p>

SGA Election Night 

Many teary eyes marked the occasion Monday night as new SGA senators were sworn in and veteran senators said goodbye.

As outgoing SGA vice president, it was Hays Kassen’s responsibility to oversee each senate meeting this year. 

“This concludes almost four years of SGA for me,” Kassen said in his closing remarks. 

Kassen went on to describe his experience with SGA throughout his college career and thanked the senators for making it memorable. 

“This group has meant more to me, Auburn has meant more to me and SGA has meant more to me than anyone could probably ever imagine,” he said. 

Kassen received a standing ovation at the end of his speech.

The group of executives in attendance, including outgoing president Ada Ruth Huntley, were all decked out in purple “Kassen is Key” shirts, from Kassen’s 2020 campaign. 

Each executive had a chance to say goodbye during their usual report.

“It’s been one of my life’s greatest honors and privileges to have led this team throughout this year, so thank you all so much for everything that you’ve done,” Huntley said. 

Outgoing treasurer Caroline Willoughby reminded everyone about Ring Week and congratulated this year’s senators. 

“It’s really been a pleasure to watch you guys work in a very creative way compared to past senates,” she said. 

Michael Bennett, outgoing vice president of outreach, an appointed cabinet position, had a few words of advice for the new team.

“Please just always go to student feedback when you’re creating your legislation,” Bennett said. “That’s where you’re going to find the needs; that’s where you’re going to find what’s best to advocate for in senate.” 

After the regular business of the meeting was concluded, Cole Callahan, the new vice president, came to the microphone and was sworn in. He asked the outgoing senators to stand and move to the back of the room, allowing the newly elected senators to take their places.

After taking their new seats, the incoming senators also stood to take their oath of office. 

“I do solemnly promise to support the constitution and the laws of the Student Government Association of Auburn University and to perform the duties of my office to the best of my ability, so help me God,” they said, repeating the oath by rote in unison.

Another round of applause filled the room.

Emma Kirkemier | Campus Reporter

Emma Kirkemier, junior in English literature with a minor in journalism, is the campus reporter for The Auburn Plainsman.

@emmakk253

Share and discuss “SGA leaders sworn in at Monday night senate” on social media.