Unique Thompson sets Auburn rebounding record in loss

Dec 20, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers forward Unique Thompson (20) reaches for a rebound during the game between Auburn and Belmont at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn fell to Mississippi State, 81-68, at the Humphrey Coliseum on Tuesday. Auburn has now fallen to 5-16 on the season and 0-13 in SEC play. 

“They got tired. I thought we kept fighting and kept pushing," said Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy. 

Auburn had a six-point lead going into halftime but lost the lead after Mississippi State outscored them 21-8 in Period 3. Mississippi State gained the lead with six minutes to go in period 3 and never looked back. 

Rebounding was the story tonight as senior Unique Thompson became Auburn's all-time rebounding leader. 

“It means everything to me,” Thompson said. “It’s hard to not get choked up and teary-eyed. I had goosebumps the whole game. Before the game I was a nervous wreck, just knowing what I had to do tonight. Once I looked up and saw that I had (10 rebounds), I couldn’t do anything but smile. I knew I had to work hard and it wasn’t going to come easy tonight.”

With 5:27 left to go in the third quarter, Thompson grabbed rebound No. 1,119. That mark set a new career record for rebounds at Auburn. The senior finished the night with 14 rebounds on the night and currently has 1,123 rebounds. With rebound No. 1,119, Thompson also picked up career double-double No. 56. The new record-holder finished the night with 22 points, 14 rebounds and two assists. 

"You look at when the record was set, and now it’s 2021 that it’s being broke, that speaks kudos to Unique Thompson for what she’s done in her four years at Auburn," Williams-Flournoy said. "It’s been tough for her, being the only senior and having to put us on her back and carry us with so many newcomers, but she’s done a great job.”

Honesty Scott-Grayson continued her strong play with another scoring outburst. The Baylor transfer put up 25 points and seven rebounds. Scott Grayson is averaging 22.8 points over the last four games. 

Auburn will look to get into the in win column against No. 16 Arkansas at Auburn Arena on Feb. 25 at 8 p.m. CST. 

Share and discuss “Unique Thompson sets Auburn rebounding record in loss” on social media.