Auburn baseball swept by Ole Miss

Mar 14, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers head coach Butch Thompson looks on during the game between Auburn and Little Rock at Plainsman Park. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn baseball was swept by No. 4 Ole Miss as it lost the final game of the series, 19-11. 

The Tigers entered their final game of the series 0-2 looking to end on a win. Auburn struggled throughout the majority of the game and finally hit its stride in the final two innings. The Tigers were able to gain 11 runs off of 11 hits, but it still was not enough to take down the Landsharks. 

“I kind of told (the team) it’s probably time to adjust some things and to look at some things we’re doing,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “I’m in for whatever type of changes we need to make. I’m going to hang in there with them.”

Auburn had four hits in the early innings, but was held scoreless over the Ole Miss defense. The eighth inning featured sophomore Brayton Brown who took to the plate with a three-run home run to boost up Auburn’s score. However, the Tigers still trailed Ole Miss 14-9. 

That inning Auburn was able to put 13 people at the plate, settling into the game. The Tigers upped themselves to nine runs off of eight hits. Junior Ryan Bliss and graduate student Rankin Woley were both able to lay down a pair of hits for Auburn. 

Ole Miss’ offense refused to let Auburn gain alone as it also added five runs to its score in the bottom of the eighth. This left Auburn to trail by 10 runs 19-9. 

Auburn had multiple pitchers come in in an attempt to stop Ole Miss. Sophomore Trace Bright led off for the Tigers pitching 1.1 innings. Bright was solid in the first innings retiring Ole Miss quickly, but the second inning was a different story. Bright allowed five batters to reach base and as a result, Ole Miss led 7-0. 

Sophomore Seb Thomas came in for relief pitching two innings successfully producing a strikeout with one walk and one hit. Redshirt sophomore Will Morrison made his season debut for Auburn and did well with 1.1 scoreless innings. 

The Tigers ultimately could not come out on top with their at-bats. Ole Miss took the plate by storm and left Auburn fighting in the final innings. 

Auburn’s next game will be against South Alabama in the Max Clash on March 23 at 6 p.m. CT in Montgomery’s Riverwalk Stadium.

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn baseball swept by Ole Miss” on social media.