Auburn gymnastics seeded sixth ahead of SEC Championship

Mar 5, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Derrian Gobourne competes in floor during the gymnastics meet between Auburn and Arkansas  at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics
Mar 5, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Derrian Gobourne competes in floor during the gymnastics meet between Auburn and Arkansas at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn gymnastics is seeded sixth heading into the SEC Championship. 

Following Auburn’s highest score of the season, the Tigers have a National Qualifying Score of 196.831 which puts them at No.15 overall and No. 6 in the SEC. This score will put them in the afternoon events in the SEC Championship. 

Auburn will be in competition with Kentucky, Georgia and Missouri who are seeded fifth, seventh and eighth respectively. Section one of the competition will feature Florida, Oklahoma, LSU, Michigan and Utah. 

The NQS of each team are determined by an average of a team’s top-two away scores and top-two home scores. For Auburn, these meets include Missouri, Florida, LSU and Arkansas where the Tigers scored 196.100 or higher. 

Auburn ranks within the top-25 of all four events. The Tigers are 13th on beam and tied for 13th on bars with a 49.275 and 49.313. Auburn is also 16th on vault with a 49.156 and 25th on floor with a 49.200. 

The Tigers also have individual rankings coming from freshman Gabby McLaughlin, junior Derrian Gobourne and senior Drew Watson. 

McLaughlin is tied for 17th on the beam with her NQS sitting at 9.919. Watson is tied for 30th on vault with a 9.984. 

Gobourne ranked in three events plus the all-around. The junior is 30th on vault and 13th on bars with a 9.984 and a 9.913 respectively. Her highest ranking ties her for third on floor with a 9.956 NQS. 

The competition will take place in Huntsville, Alabama, on March 20. The Tigers will compete in the second section which begins at 2:30 p.m. CST on SEC Network. 

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn gymnastics seeded sixth ahead of SEC Championship” on social media.