Auburn's offense embracing change to start spring

<p>Bo Nix (10)</p>
<p>AU FB 1st day of spring practice on Monday, March 15, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.</p>
<p>Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics</p>

Bo Nix (10)

AU FB 1st day of spring practice on Monday, March 15, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn began its first spring practice on Monday under new head coach Bryan Harsin, and the players are excited to be back on the field after last year’s spring season was canceled.

The offense has been through change before, but players are adjusting and looking forward to new offensive plans with a new coaching staff. Senior offensive lineman Nick Brahms talked about how the line has been adjusting under the new offensive leadership.

“The adjustment has just been learning new plays, learning how the new things work around here and stuff like that,” Brahms said. “It’s been a lot different, but it’s a fun experience and a fun atmosphere.”

Luckily for the offensive line, there remains a sense of familiarity as almost all players returned for another season and the starting five are still together. 

With some new additions to the offense ready to step up, motivation is a huge factor for the Tigers as they prepare for the new season.

“As a group, we’re tight, so the motivation is to keep getting better every day with the guys that we have,” Brahms said. “That’s the goal, just to be the best that we can be and that should be anyone’s goal.”

Behind the line, Bo Nix prepares for his third season at quarterback under his third offensive coordinator and second head coach. Nix has been handling these transitions with the help of coach Harsin.

“[Harsin] has done a great job of being in constant communication with us and allowing us to have a platform to have a great relationship with him,” Nix said. “I think he went through four different head coaches, which is quite a bit for a college career, so he knows exactly what we’re going through, and I think that speaks volumes when a coach knows exactly what the player is going through.”

For the whole offense, getting a spring season is important for them to prepare for the regular season under new coaching and gives players a chance for improvement.

In the last two seasons, Nix had strong connections with receivers Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove. With none of them returning for the 2021 season, the spring season is essential for the younger wideouts to step up, make plays and be ready to suit up for a successful season.

“Obviously I have had those guys for two years and it is a new group but they had good reps last year," Nix said. "They learned from the guys ahead of them and they’re ready to go and they’re excited for their opportunity. Those guys are extremely competitive like I am, so they’re going to do whatever it takes to be ready to compete at a high level."

Despite all of the new adjustments, the offense is ready for spring football and looks forward to getting back to Jordan-Hare Stadium in the fall. 

“Change is difficult, change is hard to go through, but sometimes if you take advantage of it, on the other side of change it can present opportunity,” Nix said. “And I think that’s what we have right now, we have a great opportunity with our new staff and we’re all excited.”

Share and discuss “Auburn's offense embracing change to start spring” on social media.