Choir uses new vocal performance masks

<p>Choir classes were online longer than other classes because of potential COVID spread from singing.</p>

Choir classes were online longer than other classes because of potential COVID spread from singing.

Students in choir attended face-to-face class for the first time this year after the Auburn University Department of Music purchased each student a vocal performance mask from the company Travel Merchandise Festivals. This was decided after most ensemble classes in the choir department were conducted virtually due to the unique nature of COVID spread that comes with vocal and instrumental performance. 

William Powell, director of choral activities, said that the decision to introduce face-to-face classes with the TMF vocal performance masks came after a long search for “safe, reputable and trustworthy products” that could keep students safe in the classroom.

The virtual instruction period for many ensemble classes in the music department, including choir, was longer than other departments at Auburn due to studies showing that singing can exacerbate the aerosol spread of COVID. As other classes made the transition to face-to-face instruction in the fall and early spring semesters, the music department looked for a solution to bring music ensemble classes in-person safely.

“[T]he mask's special construction allows singers to move their mouths while being covered completely,” Powell said. “Normal masks do not stay over the nose when the jaw is dropped and the mouth is fully opened. It's also a cloth mask which is scientifically recommended.”

According to Powell, the TMF Vocal Performance masks were selected specifically because they were rated best by an aerosol study by Colorado State University. Powell said they are affordable, reliable and that the company has a good reputation.

In addition to utilizing vocal performance masks, the music department is also enforcing other safety measures to ensure that students can be safe while attending face-to-face classes this semester. This includes social distancing in the classroom, frequent sanitization of surfaces, contact tracing and increased airflow.

“I personally feel safe because of all the other precautions that have been enforced," Powell said. “The TMF Vocal Performance Masks serve as an additional measure to ensure the safety of our students, faculty and staff.”

Share and discuss “Choir uses new vocal performance masks” on social media.