Observations and notes from Auburn's latest spring practice

defenders.
Auburn football practice/scrimmage on Thursday, March 25, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
defenders. Auburn football practice/scrimmage on Thursday, March 25, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn conducted its first scrimmage of spring on Thursday. While many things went right for the team, head coach Bryan Harsin still thinks the Tigers have a long way to go. 

“At first glance of that, we've got a ways to go,” Harsin said. “We've got things we know we need to work on, and that's ok. As long as we take that mindset into what we have to do moving forward, then we'll have a chance to continue to get better.”

Reporters were allowed into the Thursday practice for about 40 minutes, to observe the beginning of the team periods and some individual drills. While there, writers got a first glance at who may be returning kicks for special teams. 

Running back Shaun Shivers, defensive back Devin Guice and wide receiver Ja’Varrius Johnson all took turns returning simulated kicks during the team’s first real special team practices. 

Johnson, who has been a practice stand-out during the team’s six practices, was the recipient of another round of high praise from his head coach, at Harsin’s press conference post-practice. Johnson, a sophomore who appeared in one game last year, is primed to compete for a starting role according to Harsin.

“I think Ja’Varrius has done a good job,” Harsin said. “He has been one of our more consistent players, as far as his execution and preparation.”

Harsin went on to applaud Johnson’s explosiveness all throughout practice, mentioning that no matter how late in the practice the team is, Johnson is going full speed. 

During offensive drills, Johnson was running with the first team offensive group. Elijah Canion and Kobe Hudson were the two other receivers practicing with the first team, and this trio may very well be the starting group.

On the defensive side, senior edge defender T.D. Moultry was absent at practice. No update was given on his status, but in his absence, senior Maquis Burks took his place on the first team defensive line. 

Harsin said that during the team’s scrimmage, the defensive line was extremely disruptive and that overall the defense won the scrimmage, forcing multiple turnovers and even a red-zone interception. 

"Today was about operation and execution,” Harsin said. “That is it. Simple as that. It's about who can operate and execute. We saw guys that can do that.”

Share and discuss “Observations and notes from Auburn's latest spring practice” on social media.