Tigers topple Trojans for 3-0 win

<p>Makenna Dowell (32) up to bat during the game between Auburn and Southeast Missouri State at Jane B Moore Field on Feb 14, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Matthew Shannon/AU Athletics</p>

Makenna Dowell (32) up to bat during the game between Auburn and Southeast Missouri State at Jane B Moore Field on Feb 14, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Matthew Shannon/AU Athletics

Shelby Lowe held Troy to only two singles Wednesday night as No. 21 Auburn knocked off Troy 3-0. This win extended the Tigers' win streak to 11 consecutive games and is the eighth straight victory over the Trojans.

Lowe prevented any hits from Troy through five innings to record her second complete-game shutout of the season. The left-handed pitcher struck out 11 batters and only allowed two singles through seven innings. 

With the win, Lowe is now 6-0 in the circle this season.

At the plate, the Tigers were led by Makenna Dowell, who was 2-for-2 on the night, including a home run, two RBI and a pair of walks. Dowell has now recorded at least one hit through 15 of Auburn’s 17 games. Makayla Packer had her 12th multi-hit night of the season with two infield singles and her ninth multi-RBI game. 

“We talk about it all the night,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “We need a great effort in the circle. We need to play clean defense. The one play we didn’t do that, the very next play we turn a double play. We need timely hitting. We played a really good team tonight and was able to execute.”

Auburn saw its breakthrough in the third inning. After two scoreless innings with just one hit between the two teams, Aspyn Godwin worked the count to draw a bases-loaded walk to plate a run after taking advantage of a pair of walks and a Packer infield single.

In the top of the fourth, Dowell slugged her second home run of the season. Her two-out homer was able to push the Tigers' lead to 3-0.

Lowe kept the Trojans at bay early in the game and allowed one base runner via an Auburn error. Troy broke the no-hit bid for Lowe with a leadoff single in the bottom of the sixth, but Auburn’s defense would turn its second double play of the game to keep the Trojans scoreless.

The Tigers will return to Jane. B. Moore Field on Friday when they host No. 4 Alabama. The series begins on Friday at 5 p.m. CST. 

Share and discuss “Tigers topple Trojans for 3-0 win” on social media.