AU adjusts outdoor campus mask policy

Testing nearly every student and putting up signs like this one across campus are parts of the University's plan to reopen in August.

Auburn University has announced that it will no longer require people on campus to wear masks outdoors, adjusting its face covering policy following Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey's new Safer Apart Order. The announcement was made in a campus-wide email to students, faculty and staff on Thursday afternoon.

The University said it will continue to encourage the usage of masks outside but will rescind the requirement beginning at 5 p.m. on Friday, April 9 "until further notice."

"Face coverings are strongly encouraged outdoors, although not required, when physical distancing is not feasible," the University said in the email.

The change in policy also extends to those attending athletic events when seated, though the University still requires the use of masks when entering and exiting sports venues and when in public areas like restrooms, walkways and concession lines.

Masks will still be required indoors "on the Auburn University campus or other property controlled by Auburn University," according to the face covering policy. The University will make exceptions like when alone in a private office or residential space or in designated areas.

The University said it recommends those on campus have at least three masks on hand for each week to begin their day with a new or cleaned mask.

"Those face coverings should follow the current CDC recommendations," the University said. "If using cloth face coverings, they should, at a minimum, be made of multiple layers of tightly woven cotton fabric."

Tim Nail | Campus Editor

Tim Nail, junior in journalism, is the campus editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “AU adjusts outdoor campus mask policy” on social media.