Auburn upsets No.1 Arkansas for first SEC win

<p>Cody Greenhill on the mound. Photo via SEC Media Portal.&nbsp;</p>

Cody Greenhill on the mound. Photo via SEC Media Portal. 

After dropping six in a row to start conference play, Auburn’s losing streak in SEC play ended in Fayetteville, Arkansas, on Thursday night. Facing the No. 1 team in the country in Arkansas, Cody Greenhill turned in a three-hit outing over seven innings on the mound for the Tigers in a 2-1 victory.

“They’ve just been competing this whole time for a couple of weeks here,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “To get to that finish line and hold that lead, never surrender it. We’ve talked about a vision of some things we were going to see. It’s just neat when we had a plan and a vision and it came through. I think it all started with Cody Greenhill.”

Greenhill finished the day matching a career-high seven innings worked. He also struck out five while allowing only three hits and one run. Carson Skipper and Mason Barnett both made scoreless appearances out of the bullpen, tossing a frame each.

“I’m more comfortable with myself now,” Greenhill said. “I believe the foot is a blessing in disguise for me, having to learn how to throw those pitches and depend on those pitches.”

In the first, both pitchers sat down the first three batters they faced in order. Arkansas’ Patrick Wicklander recorded three strikeouts, all swinging, in the first frame, while Greenhill got three outs on just six pitches.

Rankin Woley became the first baserunner for either team in the second, with his single into center field on the first pitch. Judd Ward followed suit with his own single, this one to left field, putting runners on first and second with no outs.

Kason Howell moved the runners up another 90 feet with his sacrifice bunt. With two runners in scoring position and one out, Wicklander worked out of trouble. Steven Williams fouled out to third and Nate LaRue struck out swinging, ending the inning.

Brody Moore put the Tigers on the board in the next inning, with his second home run of the season. His solo shot to right field put Auburn up 1-0. 

“I think just that confidence factor is huge for us,” Moore said. “Like you said, the games have been so close. We’re just barely missing that big hit, that one pitch, but I feel like with tonight’s win against the No. 1 team in the country our confidence can go up a little bit and put more trust in our teammates.”

Meanwhile, on the mound, Greenhill was dealing. The senior had gone through the Arkansas lineup without allowing a baserunner and was perfect through three.

Auburn had a pair of singles to start the fourth, one by Howell and another by Williams. An error by Arkansas shortstop Jalen Battles on the Williams single moved Howell to third and 90 feet away from scoring.

LaRue recorded an RBI with his sacrifice fly and Auburn was in the driver's seat, leading 2-0.

Braydon Webb answered for Arkansas with a blast to left field to lead off the bottom of the fourth, bringing the Razorbacks within one.

It was the final time either team crossed the plate. A couple of defensive gems by the Tigers late in the game helped preserve their one-run lead.

With a runner on first and one down in the seventh, Christian Franklin hit a ground ball to second base for Arkansas. The Auburn second baseman Moore fielded the ball, sprinted to second base, stepped on the bag, and then threw across his body to first base to complete the double-play.

In the bottom of the eighth, Arkansas’ Casey Opitz ripped a line drive into center field. Howell rushed in on the ball for Auburn, diving and making the grab while losing his hat to prevent the leadoff man from reaching. 

“It is big time,” Greenhill said. “The offense stepped up. The defense played out of their mind. Brody Moore made great plays, all around. It was definitely a team win.”

Auburn and Arkansas will battle in game two of the series on Friday night from Fayetteville, with the first pitch set for 6:30 p.m. CST. The game will broadcast on SEC Network-plus.

Share and discuss “Auburn upsets No.1 Arkansas for first SEC win ” on social media.