Auburn wins first SEC series with 3-1 win over Texas A&M

<p>Shelby Lowe (55) pitches the ball during the game between Auburn and Arkansas at Jane B. Moore Field on April 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Jacob Taylor/AU Athletics</p>

Shelby Lowe (55) pitches the ball during the game between Auburn and Arkansas at Jane B. Moore Field on April 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Jacob Taylor/AU Athletics

Auburn softball won its first SEC series of the season with a 3-1 win over Texas A&M on Sunday. 

The Tigers previously won the first game of the series 6-2 and then fell to the Aggies in the second matchup 4-1.

Overall, the Tigers had seven hits on the day. Justus Perry and Lindsey Garcia were some of the top hitters of the afternoon. Garcia had her second career home run, which was Auburn’s first run of the game. Perry was 2-for-2 at the plate with a double and was later driven in for the Tigers' second run.  

“It’s so funny,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “You can get seven or eight hits and not score, or you can get seven or eight hits and plate three or four runs. It is all about that timely hitting. Today, we had some nice timely hits. We made them make adjustments and that opened some things up for us. We were able to take advantage.”

Shelby Lowe pitched a complete game for the second time this weekend. This was her 10th pitching win of the season, and she is currently 10-3 overall. Lowe allowed one walk and five strikeouts over the seven innings. 

The Tigers began the game trailing as Aggie Haley Lee hit a solo home run in the first inning. However, Garcia answered in the second to tie up the game 1-1. The score remained 1-1 until Perry was able to double in the fifth. Maia Engelkes was the next batter and singled to score Perry, giving Auburn the lead. 

Texas A&M could not answer at the plate, and Auburn added to its lead in the sixth as Sydney Cox doubled to drive in Tyler King and give the Tigers a 3-1 lead. 

Auburn will return home and host Alabama State on Tuesday, with the first pitch scheduled for 5 p.m. CST.  

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn wins first SEC series with 3-1 win over Texas A&M” on social media.