Baseball spectators call parking deck their stands

Fans watch an Auburn vs. Kentucky baseball game on top of the student parking deck on Mar. 26, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.

Above the stands of Plainsman Park, baseball fans line the ledge of the Stadium Parking Deck’s top floor to watch the Auburn baseball team play at each home game. Some spoke with The Plainsman to share their experiences of what has become something of a tradition each baseball season.

Several fans congregated near the area just before the first pitch was thrown in the April 11 game against Mississippi State. They took part in various activities to pass the time from eating lunch, enjoying a drink, to playing cards.

Jordan Flowers, junior in finance, said he has come to watch the baseball games at the stadium deck several times. He was joined by Brooke Ford who was watching the game for the first time on the upper deck.

“On a busy weekend the upper deck is more entertaining than the stadium itself,” Flowers said. “The characters that are up here every game always get us going and keep up a friendly bicker with the people in the stadium.”

Flowers said that the location is good for people that do not have tickets for the baseball games like Ford and also for students who want a convenient and good view of the game.

“For the weekend, it is nice to be able to come up here and relax and not have to deal with the regulations of the stadium,” Flowers said.

Brock Hyder, a 2016 Auburn graduate, and Bryan Medina also came to watch the baseball game from the stadium parking deck during the Mississippi State game. 

Hyder said he first watched baseball games from the upper deck earlier this month when Auburn played Kentucky and came back after his experience.

“It is not too crowded which makes it a relaxing way to watch the game from afar but still be a part of the fun atmosphere,” Hyder said.

Medina pointed out all of the empty seats in the stadium below due to COVID restrictions and social distancing and said he wished that it was easier to get a spot at the game but is grateful for the unique viewing experience.

“It would be nice to be down in the stadium but up here we can eat our food and enjoy the game with a great view which really is special,” Medina said.

In contrast to the newcomers, Kevin Ives, owner of the Twitter account Plainsman Parking Lot and 2005 graduate in Radio, Television & Film, said he has been coming to watch the baseball team play since he was a student at the University from 2001 to 2005. He has been coming to the deck to watch since it was opened and says it really took off with his group of friends around 2013.

Ives said he has found that people enjoy it because “it’s all at your own speed with your own group.”

He said that there are a few unspoken rules amongst the spectators: “Don’t back your vehicle in. Keep it clean. No glass, no grills. All drinks in a cup or koozie … Don't sit on the wall and don’t sit higher than the wall.”

The regulars that come to almost every game typically sit closest to the field on the top deck and welcome newcomers as they come.

"I come up there because it's fun and it's family," he said. "The people I watch the game with are my baseball family. Everyone who comes around us becomes family as well."

Share and discuss “Baseball spectators call parking deck their stands” on social media.