Former 5-star Walker Kessler commits to Auburn

Walker Kessler throws down a dunk. Photo via ACC.

Bruce Pearl reeled in a big fish on Monday with the commitment of former 5-star forward Walker Kessler. Kessler announced the news in an Instagram post.

The former North Carolina forward announced he was entering the transfer portal on March 22, after spending his freshman season with the Tar Heels. He played minimal minutes early in the season but began showing his potential as the year progressed.

Over the last 11 games, which included the ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament, Kessler averaged 8.2 points per game and 5.2 rebounds.

Kessler played over 20 minutes only twice this past season, in a regular-season game against Florida State and an ACC Tournament game against Notre Dame. Against Florida State, he dropped a career-high 20 points and recorded eight rebounds in 24 minutes.

With 16 points, a career-high 12 rebounds and a career-high eight blocks against Notre Dame, Kessler nearly recorded a triple-double in just 21 minutes on the court.

Originally from Fairburn, Georgia, Kessler was a 5-star recruit out of high school, according to 247Sports composite rankings. He’s the third transfer Bruce Pearl has landed this offseason, following the commitments of guards Zep Jasper and Wendell Green Jr.

At 7-foot-1, Kessler will be the tallest player on an Auburn roster that has lost three players to the transfer portal and potentially two more to the NBA draft, if J.T. Thor does not return.

Share and discuss “Former 5-star Walker Kessler commits to Auburn” on social media.