Mallory Mooney's hat trick leads Auburn to win over Virginia Tech

<p>Marissa Arias (19) and Mallory Mooney (8) celebrate after Mooney's game-winning goal against Georgia in double overtime. Photo via: Eric Glemser | AU Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Marissa Arias (19) and Mallory Mooney (8) celebrate after Mooney's game-winning goal against Georgia in double overtime. Photo via: Eric Glemser | AU Athletics. 

Auburn closed out its season with a 4-1 win over Virginia Tech on a neutral site in Greenwood, South Carolina on Saturday. The Tigers have now won five straight and move to 10-5-3 on the season.

"I don't think we could've made a better statement win in our last game," said head coach Karen Hoppa. "Our team has gotten better all throughout the year and we certainly played our best soccer here against a really quality ACC team in Virginia Tech."

Virginia Tech got the scoring started in the 27th minute of the game with a goal from Emily Gray. This was the third goal given up by Auburn in the spring season.

The Hokie lead lasted all of eight minutes before Maddie Simpson equalized for Auburn in the 35th minute. The Simpson header came from yet another Anna Haddock pass. That was the tenth assist of the season for Haddock. 

Auburn and Virginia Tech would trade shots for the next 35 minutes before Mallory Mooney found the back of the net for Auburn. Sydney Richards picked up the assist.

10 minutes later Mooney picked up another goal to extend the Auburn lead to 3-1. Two minutes after that, Mooney added a third to complete her hat trick. That score would the last and extend the Auburn lead to 4-1. 

“To beat them 4-1 is just a huge statement about this team from Auburn deserves to be in the NCAA Tournament,” Hoppa said.

Mooney's three goals on Saturday bring her season total to five. 

"The second half, Mallory Mooney took over," Hoppa said. "What a great performance by her. Certainly her best soccer so far."

Today was also a historic day for Hoppa, as she recorded another 10-win season. In Hoppa’s 22 years at Auburn, she has recorded 10 wins 18 times. 

Auburn hopes this win will be enough to earn them an at-large bid to a condensed NCAA Tournament which starts on April 23 in Cary, North Carolina. Auburn will find out on Monday if they made the tournament when the NCAA Tournament Selection show airs at noon on NCAA.com. 

Share and discuss “Mallory Mooney's hat trick leads Auburn to win over Virginia Tech” on social media.