Offense leads the way in win over No. 25 Texas A&M

Feb 27, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers Aspyn Godwin (00) reacts while running to home plate during the game between Auburn and IUPUI  at Jane B. Moore Field. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics
Feb 27, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers Aspyn Godwin (00) reacts while running to home plate during the game between Auburn and IUPUI at Jane B. Moore Field. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn bounced back from a three-game skid with a 6-2 win over No. 25 Texas A&M in College Station, Texas, on Friday. Auburn moves to 20-11 on the season and 2-8 in conference play with the win. 

The Tigers got off to a hot start offensively as they had three hits and three runs in the top of the first inning. Alyssa Rivera dealt the first blow of the game with a two-run double to get Auburn on the board. A walk later, and Makayla Packer added another run with a bases-loaded hit-by-pitch. 

“It was a good start,” said head coach Mickey Dean.” Our first three or four batters did a real nice of working the counts and seeing a lot of pitches."

Texas A&M answered in the sixth inning when Bre Warren knocked in a two-run home run to bring the Aggies within one. 

In the top of the seventh, Aspyn Godwin doubled to start the inning. After Godwin's double, Lindsey Garcia was walked, and the Tigers now had runners on first and second. Packer stepped up to the plate and drove in another run, but Auburn was not done adding to its lead. 

The Tigers pulled off a double steal, and an error on the play sent Garcia to the plate. Makenna Dowell drove in the final run of the game with a bunt single. 

Shelby Lowe started in the circle. Lowe pitched a complete game giving up two runs on five hits. She was awarded the win and moves to 9-3 on the season. 

Packer's performance was her sixth multi-hit game of the season and her third multi-RBI game of the season. The freshman finished the night 3-for-3 with two RBI. 

Auburn will look to win its first SEC series of the season when they take on Texas A&M for game two on Saturday. The first pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m. CST, and the game will air on the SEC Network. 

Share and discuss “Offense leads the way in win over No. 25 Texas A&M” on social media.