The Johnnie Harris era of Auburn Women's Basketball has begun

Johnnie Harris the new Auburn Women's Basketball coach speaks to the media at her formal introduction ceremony on Monday, April 5, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.

Newly-hired Auburn women’s basketball head coach, Johnnie Harris, arrived at Auburn Arena Monday to the sound of the Auburn fight song.

“It felt like someone welcoming me into the family rather than an interview process,” Harris said. “I’m excited to be a part of this.”

Harris brings 16 years of SEC experience to Auburn in what is her first head coaching job.

“She has achieved and been a part of programs who have achieved a ton of success,” said Auburn athletic director Allen Greene. 

The new head coach is most known for her job as an associate head coach at Mississippi State under now Texas head coach, Vic Schaefer. In the eight seasons at Mississippi State, Harris helped lead the Bulldogs to five NCAA Tournament berths and championship game appearances in 2017 and in 2018. Along with her, she brings a blueprint to success to Auburn with her.

“She knows the blueprint,” Greene said. “Our job is to help her put some orange and blue tint on this blueprint.” 

Harris’ blueprint is not a complex one but that does not mean it will be easy to achieve.

“My vision for this program is tough, hard-nosed, aggressive basketball program,” coach Harris said. “We’re gonna pick them up from the time they get into town and we’re going to escort them out.” 

The other aspect of her blueprint is to build a culture in where players are out in the community. Where they are accessible to fans. 

“Our culture is gonna be one of dignity, of trust, of loyalty, one of hard work,” Harris said. “Education will be number one with us… You’re a student before you’re an athlete.” 

Harris has helped develop junior college prospects and high school recruits. As a recruiter, Harris has turned in top recruiting classes year in and year out. 

“It’s all about recruiting,” Harris said. 

In her first recruiting class, Harris signed the No. 1 post player in country. Everywhere Harris has been she has posted the top recruiting class that the university has seen. In her seasons at Texas A&M, Harris notched a No. 2, a No. 5 and a No. 6 recruiting class. 

“I’ll see you [Women’s basketball team] on the floor tomorrow,” Harris said. 

The Johnnie Harris era has officially begun for Auburn women’s basketball. 

Share and discuss “The Johnnie Harris era of Auburn Women's Basketball has begun” on social media.