Lee County sheriff's deputies fatally shoot man after nearly two-hour standoff

The shooting is currently under investigation by the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency.

A young man died after being shot by Lee County sheriff’s deputies early Saturday morning. Jeff Melvin, 20, pointed a shotgun at law enforcement before deputies fired multiple rounds at him, according to a press release from the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.

The standoff between Melvin and deputies lasted an hour and 40 minutes before shots were fired, Sheriff Jay Jones said at a press conference Saturday.

Three deputies with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office have been placed on paid administrative leave as the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency investigates the shooting.

Deputies and troopers with the state highway patrol arrived at the scene after receiving a 911 call at 1:06 a.m. about a man armed with a gun standing near Lee County Road 206 near the intersection with Lee County Road 240. Jones said officers immediately issued verbal commands for the man to place the weapon down.

The man did not place down the shotgun, and he then racked the gun to chamber a round into the weapon.

Officers checked the registration of a nearby vehicle and contacted the owner who then told officers that her son had been driving the vehicle. Jones said the description offered by the owner of the vehicle matched that of the man armed with the shotgun. 

The owner of the car then informed 911 dispatchers that her son struggled with mental health issues, Jones said.

A trained negotiator with the Opelika Police Department arrived at the scene, and attempts to communicate with the man continued. 

After an hour and 40 minutes, the man pointed the shotgun directly at law enforcement officers, who then fired multiple rounds, Jones said. No officers were shot or injured.

Police then identified the man as Jeff Melvin and transported him to Piedmont Medical Center where he succumbed to injuries and was pronounced deceased.

Special agents in ALEA’s State Bureau of Investigation are investigating the shooting at the request of the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, the press release states.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Lee County sheriff's deputies fatally shoot man after nearly two-hour standoff” on social media.