Looking to get outdoors? Here are four spots in Auburn

<p>A tree at the Donald E. Davis Arboretum on Oct. 19, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

A tree at the Donald E. Davis Arboretum on Oct. 19, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Editor's Note: This story was featured in The Plainsman's special print edition for 2021 Camp War Eagle. You can check out an online version of that edition here.

As we spend more and more of our time looking at screens, we might find ourselves dreaming of green, natural spaces. In Auburn, those places aren't too far away.

Spending time in nature is important not only for one’s physical health but is also linked to both cognitive benefits and improvements in mood, mental health and emotional well-being, according to the American Psychological Association.

Auburn is home to many great outdoor-focused attractions for students to spend their time at during the week or weekends and makes it easy for students and residents to find beautiful outdoor venues. 

Perhaps the most notable and well-known outdoor attraction in Auburn is Chewacla State Park. This park stretches over nearly 700 acres of forestry and lakes. Popular activities include fishing, hiking, geocaching or playing on the playground on site. People are also allowed to take canoes or kayaks onto the lake. Additionally, Chewacla has extensive mountain biking trails and jumps for people down for something more thrilling. 

Another lovely outdoor spot is the Davis Arboretum, which is actually on the Auburn University campus. It is open to everybody completely free of charge. The Arboretum hosts native trees, shrubbery and flowers. The Davis Arboretum is a great place if you are in search of an outdoor attraction that is more peaceful and calming than other options. 

A park that has both activities and great places to relax is Kiesel Park. Kiesel Park has a pavilion, a pond and a nearly three-mile walking trail. Popular activities include walking, biking or having picnics and events underneath the beautiful pavilion. This is also a popular place to bring your dog for a walk. 

Kreher Preserve and Nature Center is the perfect place to go on a hike or casual stroll while learning about nature and wildlife species in Auburn. As you walk through the trails at this nature preserve, you will find signs to read about different species living in the woods. The KPNC also hosts several classes ranging from gardening for adults or learning classes for kids. There are several ways to learn more about wildlife in Auburn through KPNC. 

Abby Winskowicz | Lifestyle Writer

Abby Winskowicz, sophomore in communication, is a lifestyle writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Looking to get outdoors? Here are four spots in Auburn” on social media.