Nick Cave crafts unity through art

<p>Auburn students Fendley Russel (left) and Katrina Messinger (right) observe Nick Cave's art display on Sep 9, 2021, at Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Auburn students Fendley Russel (left) and Katrina Messinger (right) observe Nick Cave's art display on Sep 9, 2021, at Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art in Auburn, Ala.

Nick Cave, otherwise known as "Rockstar of the Art World," visited Auburn at the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art this past Thursday to showcase his latest works. 

Before he spoke, the audience was shown a behind-the-scenes short film of a project he previously worked on. This film gave a glimpse into what day-to-day life is as an artist.

It also showed the process of how his creative style comes to life. Additionally, the film allowed the audience to better understand the meaning that the work itself has for him.

This particular short film was on a Cave's project: "soundsuits." During the discussion after the film, Cave elaborated on the work. 

“This did not start out to be a video, but it became that because ... it is so sensitive and tender," Cave said. "That’s why I think it was so beautiful … [because] everything just happened in that moment.” 

When Cave creates his "soundsuits," he keeps the idea of movement and real life in mind. These suits are meant to fit real people, becoming living forms of art.

“It is just ... very raw, very real, very sort of now," Cave said. "That’s what we liked about this video. It really allowed part of the process that is really never seen."

Most of Cave's work promotes the idea of art coming to life. Yet, Cave also uses his soundsuits to stand for the causes he believes in.

By covering the majority of the individuals’ bodies, these suits take away the assumptions and expectations that people would normally label others with. The "soundsuit" allows the viewer to take a step back and observe it as simply art. In this way, it creates a sense of unity among its viewers.

Many different people could put on the same "soundsuit" in a day, and no one would know that the person under the suit had changed. Regardless of gender and ethnicity, the suit would not change. 

Cave’s works can be viewed periodically in person at exhibitions, such as the one presented Thursday, as well as shows like “Disguise: Masks and Global African Art” at the Brooklyn Museum. 

Share and discuss “Nick Cave crafts unity through art” on social media.