LETTER TO THE EDITOR | The Great Response to 'The Great Debacle'

<p>Lowder Hall is home to the Harbert College of Business. taken on Saturday, Feb 24, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Lowder Hall is home to the Harbert College of Business. taken on Saturday, Feb 24, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

I want to first say that this article is exactly why no one trusts the media anymore. The incredible bias towards the echo chamber that is the Republicans and Democrats and the complete slander and outright lies towards me and the Plainsmen for Liberty. I demand their apology and regret for writing these lies and characterizing me as a bigot and a racist (which I will address later), despite being the only person of color at the debate.

Throughout the debate, I fully explain that the government is indeed the problem to all societal ills and problems we face in the U.S. I also offered solutions to these problems the government has caused in the first place. You asked, “How should we move beyond that?” and if you actually listened to our perspective instead of trying to find the “snarky remarks” we make, we provided very popular and reasonable solutions to these problems:

• For climate change, we said we need to end the foreign wars and defund the industrial-military complex. They are the biggest polluters from manufacturing war machines just to bomb children in the Middle East. On top of that, we advocated for investing in nuclear energy, the safe and least pollutant alternative fuel out there.
  • For education, I clearly stood for the very popular and reasonable idea of school choice, this allows parents to send their children to the school they think will work best for them via vouchers or education savings plans.
  • For healthcare, I supported the idea of breaking up Big Pharma, whose lobbyists influence Congress to create barriers to entry into the healthcare market, mainly by patent claims on medicine and regulations that keep smaller firms from producing less expensive drugs and services.
  • For immigration, I presented the radical view that closed/open borders, limited/unlimited immigration is a false dichotomy and that private borders solve this conundrum. Immigrants will be able to go where property owners invite them to. I also said I supported the idea that recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program should either “obtain the path to citizenship or go back to the country from where their parents came from."

If only the people at The Auburn Plainsman can see your own bias, maybe next time when we debate, you will actually sit and listen to the actual facts instead of looking for op-eds to make for your yellow journalistic articles.

As for the “welfare parasite” comment, I want to clarify that I was addressing the notion that many Republicans (not specifically the AU College Republicans, but the average Republican) uses the argument that some illegal immigrants are welfare parasites and explained that private borders solve that fear many Republicans have. By privatizing borders (i.e., reestablishing private property rights, defederalizing land) property owners (from ranches to Walmart) can invite immigrants to come work for them, and at the same time not interfere with other property owners' land or money (in the form of taxes).

Also, to address my take on “exploiting immigrant workers”; Immigrants willing to exploit the tax system by being paid only in cash (“under the table”) while also being undocumented shows an immensely brave people who are essentially holding up a middle finger to the federal government. It is truly “pretty cool actually” for them to keep all the fruits of their labor without having to have it stolen. They are not being exploited at all, quite the contrary; they agreed on a wage they felt seemed fair, and they get to keep all their money away from the thieving hands of the government. It only seems like that because minimum wage laws exist.

Also, in the defense of the College Republicans, they too, never said all immigrants “run drugs into the country." Cartels do. Coyotes do, as well as sex and child trafficking. They are concerned with the fact that cartels are exploiting poor immigrants who want to come into this country by making them their drug mules.

This could be fixed by ending the drug war, something you make rather light of by the fact that it is something that “brings college students together,” as if we just like to smoke weed and chill. Do you not realize that people are sitting in jail for decades for this injustice of owning property in the form of a plant?

Libertarianism is a philosophy that believes in a world without coercion, without the oppressive State, which is the great fiction that seeks to live at everyone else’s expense. We support ways to voluntarily organize society. We believe we should not hurt people and take their stuff. We believe in respecting the rights of life, liberty and property. It should not be radical to say these things, but it is, when the media, the academic elites and the government have made us complacent, giving up these rights for the idea of security.

Let me end by saying this: I thank the College Republicans for hosting this event, the College Democrats for the debate we had, and I will see you all at the next one.

Keller Williams | Media Relations Manager for the Plainsmen for Liberty

Keller Williams, junior in political science, is the media relations manager for the Plainsmen for Liberty. 

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR | The Great Response to 'The Great Debacle'” on social media.