Tigers hoping to bounce back against Charleston Southern

Nov. 21, 2021; Atlanta, Georgia; Kiyae’ White (10) cheers her team on in a match between Auburn and Georgia Tech in McCamish Pavillion.

Following a two-game road trip where the Tigers went 1-1, Auburn women’s basketball will be back on its home court on Friday when it takes on Charleston Southern. It will be the fourth all-time meeting between the two schools as Auburn looks to bounce back from Wednesday’s loss with a win.

Auburn is 3-0 all-time against the Buccaneers, with its latest win coming in 2001.

Charleston Southern is hoping to find the win column for the first time this season, entering the contest at 0-3. The Buccaneers’ three losses come at the hands of Alabama, George Mason and Western Carolina.

It’s been a tough start to the season on both ends of the floor for Charleston Southern, to say the least, which averages 45 points per game and gives up an average of 82 points per game to opposing teams.

The struggles have led to an average margin of defeat of 37.3.

Auburn will need to capitalize on the weak defense to get its offense in a rhythm again, following a 49-point performance against Little Rock where it shot 32.2% from the field. Junior guard Honesty Scott-Grayson will also look to get back on track following an uncharacteristic performance where she made just two shots from the field against the Trojans.

The lack of offense was picked up by Sania Wells, who played a career-high 36 minutes and had a career-most 17 shot attempts. She was Auburn’s leading scorer in the game with 11 points, followed by Aicha Coulibaly with 10.

Charleston Southern’s offense is led by Tori Gittens, who averages 11 points per game. Running the show at the helm for the Buccaneers as head coach will be former Auburn assistant Clarisse Garcia.

With an Auburn win, it marks the 100th win for women’s basketball inside Auburn Arena.

The game is set to begin at noon CST from Auburn Arena and will be broadcast on SEC Network-plus.

Caleb Jones | Sports Editor

Originally from Helena, Ala., Caleb Jones is a senior studying journalism at Auburn University. He has been on staff with The Plainsman since 2019.

You can follow him here on Twitter: @calebjsports

Share and discuss “Tigers hoping to bounce back against Charleston Southern” on social media.