'Everyone around him will tell you he is a walking angel'

<p>After 45 years of being Santa Clause, David Cargill hangs up his red coat.&nbsp;</p>

After 45 years of being Santa Clause, David Cargill hangs up his red coat. 

For 45 years, David Cargill was Santa in the Auburn/Opelika area, as well as in some surrounding areas like Montgomery. As Santa, David would attend parades, photoshoots, restaurants and hotels in the Christmas season. For any event that needed Santa, David was there.

“My papa has always had an aura of love and joy,” Laura Cargill, granddaughter of David Cargill, said. “The Santa role is not just a character, it is who he really is — extremely kind and giving. Everyone around him will tell you he is a walking angel.”

However, in 2021, David was diagnosed with cancer in his mouth, nose and throat. After the removal of the tumor, David was left without a mouth and nose. As of now, David uses a dry erase board to communicate. 

“He’ll never speak or do Santa again, which has been heartbreaking for all of us,” Laura said. 

Serving as Santa for decades and making others happy is what David loved to do. 

“Even on the day I was born, he showed up to meet me for the first time in a Santa suit,” Laura said.

Laura has made a commitment to keeping her grandpa’s memory alive, and to giving him the same love and support she received from him growing up. Laura has started a Go Fund Me titled "Help My Papa Receive The Care He Deserves" to fundraise for her grandpa’s medical bills. 

“He took care of me most of my life growing up," she said. "So when he got sick, I knew I had to do something for him."

With this fundraiser, Laura wanted her grandpa to feel the love and support from the community he had served for all these years.

“This is my thank you," she said. "He saved me. He was the only father figure I ever had and I am so thankful for him.”

Laura said she is grateful for the support her grandpa has received already through this fundraiser. David now is in physical therapy learning how to walk and speak again.  

With the community rallying around their Santa, Laura said he is “overfilled with optimism.”

“It is amazing how much support from a community can help someone,” Laura said. 

Jayne Duignan | Culture Writer

Jayne Duignan, senior in journalism and psychology, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “'Everyone around him will tell you he is a walking angel'” on social media.