Tigers travel to Arkansas to battle streaking Razorbacks

February 5, 2022; Athens, Georgia; K.D. Johnson (0) rises up to shoot a floater over a defender during a match between Auburn and Georgia in Stegeman Coliseum.

Two teams riding a long winning streak finally meet one another on Tuesday night. The No. 1 ranked Auburn Tigers, who have won 19 straight games, travel to Fayetteville, Arkansas, to play the Arkansas Razorbacks who have won eight straight games. 

After losing its first three conference games, Arkansas has used its winning streak to climb up to a tie for the third-place spot in the SEC with Tennessee. 

Most recently, Arkansas defeated Mississippi State 63-55. 

Arkansas limited the Bulldogs to just 18 made shots. Head coach Bruce Pearl applauded the Arkansas defense when previewing the game. 

“Statistically, they're playing defensively as well as anybody in the league,” Pearl said. “The key to their eight-game winning streak has been their defense. They make it really difficult to run your offense." 

The Razorbacks do not dominate any team defensive stat, but they are solid all around. In the SEC, Arkansas is third in defensive rebounding, fifth in steals and eighth in blocks. These stats hold opponents to 68 points per game. 

While that opponent point per game average is decent, the defense during Arkansas’ newfound winning stretch has been elite. Over those eight games, teams are only scoring 60.5 points per game. 

Auburn has struggled mightily shooting the ball in its past two road games – both against poor SEC teams too. 

With tall guards like Au’Diese Toney and Stanley Umude, it will be tough for the Auburn guards to find open shots, but that is exactly what SEC player of the week Wendell Green Jr. does. 

Offensively, JD Notae will likely lead the Razorbacks. 

The preseason First Team All-SEC guard leads the SEC in points per game and is undoubtedly Arkansas’ biggest weapon. Notae plays 33 minutes per game, and with Auburn guard Zep Jasper’s availability in question, the Tigers will have their hands full with him. 

Notae also tops the SEC in steals and turns those opponent turnovers into fastbreak points. Auburn rarely turns the ball over but will have to be extra careful with Notae’s quick hands. 

Not only does Notae score and force turnovers, but he also leads the Razorbacks in assists. Most of those assists will go to Toney and Umude. 

Expect Arkansas sophomore forward Jaylin Williams to get some touches too. Williams is a versatile big man who can score at all three levels of the court. 

Williams’ three-point shooting ability may draw Auburn’s Walker Kessler out of the paint a lot. Kessler averages four blocks per game, but if he is marking Williams at the three-point line, Arkansas may take advantage of Auburn down low. 

This is where Arkansas likes to make defenses pay. The Razorbacks only make six 3-pointers per game with Notae scoring two of those, but they still rank fourth in the SEC in points per game at just under 80 points.  

Toney and Umude shoot 57.9% and 46% from the field, respectively. Neither player shoots a ton from deep, but both obtain the ability to do so as both shoot above 30% from three-point range. 

Auburn will live with Arkansas players, outside of Notae, taking open 3-pointers if that is what it takes to guard the interior. The Tigers cannot afford to let Arkansas do what it does best or the game will be over before they know it. 

It is a risky strategy on the road because Bud Walton Arena will be loud all night and if Arkansas is connecting on its 3-pointers, the arena will grow even louder. But Arkansas must first show it can make those shots before Auburn leaves the paint to defend the three-point line.

Auburn does not have much to prove to the college basketball world, but a win at one of the most hostile arenas in the nation would further prove that Auburn is a true national contender and inch the Tigers closer to a regular season SEC championship.

The matchup will take place Tuesday night on Feb. 8 at 6 p.m. CST and be broadcast on ESPN2. 

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Tigers travel to Arkansas to battle streaking Razorbacks ” on social media.