After much uncertainty, Auburn gameplans for Texas A&M to begin SEC Tournament

Wendell Green Jr. (1) and K.D. Johnson (0) interact during practice at a nearby Tampa school the day before Auburn's first game of the SEC Tournament on March, 10, 2022.

After much anticipation, Auburn discovered its first opponent for the SEC tournament Thursday afternoon. The Aggies of Texas A&M (21-11), the SEC’s No. 8 seed, will line up with Auburn on Friday after an exciting, but near disastrous, win the day before.

Despite leading Florida by 13 with 5:42 remaining in the game and even leading by 16 at one point, the Aggies saw their lead slip away, and Kowacie Reeves capped off the miraculous comeback for the Gators by nailing a step back 3-pointer right in front of his team’s bench to even the score at the end of regulation.

This gave Florida all the momentum going into overtime, or so it seemed, but drilling a three of his own was Texas A&M’s Hassan Diara, leaving 0.4 seconds on the clock for Florida. This was not long enough for the Gators to get off a shot, and Texas A&M won the thriller.

While watching Texas A&M battle in a back-and-forth brawl with Florida, head coach Bruce Pearl was more concerned with his team playing their best basketball instead of worrying about who their opponent might be.

“There’s a part of [our team] that would’ve liked to play Florida because they beat us last time, so there’s a psychological edge there,” Pearl said. “But, I don’t really think it matters… they’re just ready to get out there and get started.”

Lior Berman (24) exits a practice at a nearby Tampa school the day before Auburn's first game of the SEC Tournament on March, 10, 2022.

Although Auburn took the sole matchup 75-58 in the regular season, the Tigers realize that the circumstances will be different this time around playing in the SEC Tournament in Tampa and not Auburn.

“Having our home crowd, we’re not going to have the same feeling we had last time, so we have to come out and play as a team and play together,” said Auburn forward Walker Kessler. “We understand that if you lose, you go home. There’s that urgency to win.”

The Tigers were able to ease to a 17-point win over the Aggies on Feb. 12, once leading by 25 and never trailing in the game, but Texas A&M has been a team on fire as of late. It has won its last five in a row, including the hard-fought, emotional win over Florida in the second round of the SEC Tournament.

“(Texas) A&M is a very dangerous team. They’re one of the most athletic teams in the conference and they’re playing with great confidence right now,” Pearl said. “They turn you over like crazy. They’re very active with their hands, so you have to be strong with the basketball.”

Sitting in the NCAA Tournament’s “next four out” bubble, it also has a lot to play for. The win over Florida kept its tournament hopes alive, but a win over a potential No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and top dog in the SEC in Auburn, might just get them in the brackets.

Devan Cambridge (35) exits a practice at a nearby Tampa school the day before Auburn's first game of the SEC Tournament on March, 10, 2022.

However, a few advantages point in Auburn’s favor, and Pearl acknowledged them. 

One is that Auburn is the No. 1 seed, which means it will play in the earl slot in the first game of each day, and it can sit back and watch the other teams for the rest of the day.

“The early game is not always an advantage in the first game, but it is in the second and third because it gives you extra time to rest,” Pearl said. “We’ve got to find a way to match (Texas) A&M’s energy. You can play really hard, and it looks like they’re just playing harder because they’re so fast, powerful and athletic.”

Another advantage is that Auburn enters the matchup fresher and more rested than the Aggies. Auburn has not played since its last regular-season matchup with South Carolina on Saturday, but Texas A&M engaged in a physical, emotionally demanding overtime match just 24 hours before the game with Auburn. 

Even with great depth and strong play from its bench this season, Pearl does not think that is a decisive factor in the first match of tournament play.

“I think [bench play] will be a factor for whoever plays in the third game,” Pearl said. “In my history of doing this, it doesn’t matter in the first or second game, but third and fourth game and so on, legs become a factor.”

After its final practice on Thursday afternoon before it begins SEC Tournament action, Auburn is set to take on Texas A&M in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament tomorrow in Amalie Arena in Tampa, Florida at 11 a.m. CST. The game between the No. 1 and No. 8 seeds in the league will be broadcasted on ESPN. 

“I’ve always said in tournaments that the first one is the worst one, so this will be the toughest game for us to win,” Pearl said. 

Share and discuss “After much uncertainty, Auburn gameplans for Texas A&M to begin SEC Tournament” on social media.