Auburn Arena officially renamed Neville Arena

Connie Neville shares a smile with her husband Bill Neville at a name dedication ceremony for the newly named Neville Arena on March 4, 2022.

Almost one month after it was announced, the name change of Auburn Arena became official.

The building was dedicated as Neville Arena on Friday afternoon during a ceremony at the building’s main entrance. 

The ceremony was held to honor Bill and Connie Neville, who recently gave the largest gift in the history of Auburn athletics. 

“Today, we’re changing the letters on this building,” said Auburn associate athletics director Tim Jackson. “But I would argue that we’re really not changing anything because the values that we all hold dear that make us Auburn, the Auburn Creed …that’s who the Nevilles are.”

Though Auburn recognized the Nevilles for the gift they gave, Connie Neville believes Auburn has been a gift to her and her husband.

“Auburn has been a gift to us,” Connie Neville said. “We feel alive, we feel happy, we feel part of a family. It’s a real gift to come on these grounds, on the Plains, and be with everybody who’s here for just the same reason, to support one another and have fun and love.”

The guest list was a who’s who of Auburn University dignitaries. 

Among those in attendance were University President Dr. Jay Gogue, Gogue’s successor Dr. Chris Roberts, COO of Auburn University Gen. Ron Burgess, former trustee Bobby Lowder, and former Auburn football coach Sen. Tommy Tuberville. It was a group that Connie Neville called “a sea of so many people that I love.”

“I think that having everyone here is a testament, as you talk about relationships and fun and enjoyment with the Nevilles,” said Auburn athletic director Allen Greene. “[Bill and Connie Neville] epitomize, in my opinion, the Auburn Creed and certainly understand and recognize the importance of philanthropy.”

Jackson discussed the impact the Nevilles and their donation will have on the teams that compete in Neville Arena.

“It’s a special day in that what they’ve done is going to allow us to do some things that are going to help Coach Pearl, and Coach Harris, our gymnastics program, our volleyball, so many to be even more successful than we are,” Jackson said. “It takes resources and what they’re doing is going to help us accomplish some things that otherwise we could not.”

Auburn men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl called the gift “transformational.”

“It is transformational, what we’re going to be able to do,” Pearl said. “It already is one of the best arenas in all of collegiate athletics, and so we promise to be good stewards of the gift and use it in a useful way.”

The renaming of the arena comes at a time when the gymnastics team has a chance to share the SEC title on Friday and the men’s basketball team could win the conference outright inside the walls of Neville Arena on Saturday. 

“I just want to apologize that it’s going to take us 24 hours before we win your first championship,” Pearl said. “It might take less than that because gymnastics has got a chance tonight. That’s pretty special to have your name on the arena for a day or two and all of a sudden, we’ve got a chance to win a couple of championships.”

Despite never attending a class at Auburn, Bill Neville learned a lot through his involvement with the athletics program at Auburn.

“We have benefitted greatly from our involvement with Auburn and Auburn athletics,” Bill Neville said. “There are some key lessons I’ve taken from Auburn. One is family. I try to treat everyone, personally and professionally, the same way the Auburn family has treated me. With kindness, respect, and support."

Bill Neville continued his praise of his adopted Auburn family. 

“Another is resilience. During my lifetime, Auburn has dealt with all kinds of adversity but still finds a way to be on top. It’s been a strong source of confidence for me to be able to take that lesson in resilience.”

Bill Neville attributed another lesson to Pearl.

“And probably most importantly is passion,” Bill Neville said. “If I can bring Auburn-like passion to my endeavors, I know I’ve got a good chance for success. I always believed that Auburn was the absolute pinnacle of passion. It was not possible to be any more passionate. And then, Bruce Pearl arrived. So I learned something new, there is no ceiling for passion.”

The first official event in the arena following the rededication will be on Friday night at 7 p.m. CST, when the No. 6 Auburn gymnastics team faces No. 3 Florida for a chance to share the SEC championship. A ceremony will be held during Saturday’s men’s basketball game against South Carolina to honor the arena's new name.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Auburn Arena officially renamed Neville Arena” on social media.