Pearl previews Tigers' path in the SEC Tournament

<p>Nov. 12, 2021; Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl during a game against Louisiana Monroe from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Nov. 12, 2021; Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl during a game against Louisiana Monroe from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.

As the NCAA Tournament looms, Auburn is hoping to cement its position as a No. 1 seed in the Big Dance. In order to earn a top seed, Auburn could need a strong showing in Tampa, Florida at the SEC Tournament.

When the Tigers travel to Tampa, they will do so with three SEC award-holders. Head coach Bruce Pearl was named SEC Coach of the Year, Jabari Smith was named SEC Freshman of the Year and Walker Kessler was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year. In addition, both Smith and Kessler were named to the All-SEC First Team.

“I’m very happy for Jabari [Smith] and Walker [Kessler],” Pearl said. “To be recognized as first-team, Jabari getting Freshman of the Year, Walker the Defensive Player of the Year.”

Despite the historic regular season for the Tigers, winning the SEC Tournament will be no easy task. Gone are the days of the SEC having just three NCAA Tournament-caliber teams in its field. 

Now, Pearl believes at least six teams are sure to get in, while another team or two could make it with some extra wins in Tampa this week.

“I think there are six locks and there is the potential for seven or eight teams to get in,” Pearl said. “This is the best the league has been since I’ve been in the league.”

Two of the SEC teams sitting on the NCAA tournament’s bubble are Texas A&M and Florida, one of which will be Auburn’s opening opponent in the conference quarterfinals on Friday. A win over the SEC’s regular-season champion could get the Aggies or Gators into the field for March Madness.

“There is not another [8 versus 9 seed] game in college basketball anywhere near the caliber of the game between [Texas] A&M and Florida,” Pearl said. “Both of these teams are probably a win or two from getting in the tournament. Particularly a win against us.”

Auburn earned home victories over both Texas A&M and Florida in the regular season but suffered a road loss to the Gators just over two weeks ago.

“We played very well at home against both teams and struggled at Florida,” Pearl said. “So regardless who comes out of this one, it’ll be a really challenging contest.”

Not only is a top seed in the NCAA Tournament at stake, but also another chance at history for a team that has already made history multiple times. Never before has Auburn swept the regular-season and tournament titles for the SEC, but it has the chance to do it this year.

“That would be great,” Pearl said. “I suppose at this time of the year, for sure, we really just like to continue to just try to be playing our best.”

As the No. 1 seed in the SEC Tournament, Auburn will play in the earliest timeslot throughout its time in Tampa. It is a timeslot that Pearl believes is advantageous for the Tigers.

“We have the advantage especially if you get to Saturday or Sunday,” Pearl said. “We worked hard to try to have that advantage.”

Auburn, by virtue of being one of the SEC’s top four teams, will not open play until the quarterfinals on Friday. It will play the winner of the Texas A&M vs. Florida game at 11 a.m. CST on ESPN.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Pearl previews Tigers' path in the SEC Tournament” on social media.