Plainsman's Choice 2022 Best New Restaurant: Whataburger

<p>The employees of Whataburger smile for their close-up after being voted best new restaurant.</p>

The employees of Whataburger smile for their close-up after being voted best new restaurant.

On Jan. 3, Whataburger opened its doors to the Auburn community on Toomer’s Corner and has become a favorite among Auburn students.

The fast food burger chain based out of San Antonio, Texas, is open 24/7 with a breakfast menu served from 11 p.m. to 11 a.m.

The Texas charm carries over into the restaurant's service, creating a welcoming environment for guests. 

“The staff is always really kind, and they make me feel welcome every time I go. The honey butter chicken biscuit is to die for. If you haven’t had it yet, you’re missing out,” said Katrina Messinger, junior in pre-veterinary medicine. “The best part is now I can walk to get Whataburger instead of driving every morning.”

The new location on the corner of North College Street and West Magnolia Avenue is the second Whataburger in the Auburn area. A location across from Tiger Town in Opelika opened in summer 2021. 

Whataburger offers affordable prices, with its standard burger, the Whataburger, priced at $4.59. If you add fries and a medium fountain drink, the order becomes a Whatameal priced at $7.59. 

Beyond burgers, Whataburger's menu provides a variety of options. This includes chicken strips, chicken sandwiches, sides, shakes and, of course, the full breakfast menu. 

With Whataburger's 24/7 service and its central downtown location, it is an appealing option for a post-night-out meal, a snack on the way to class and just about all meals in between. 

Emily Nagy | Culture Writer

Emily Nagy, junior in sociology and a double minor in counseling and journalism, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Plainsman's Choice 2022 Best New Restaurant: Whataburger ” on social media.