Penn State big winners in ground game versus Auburn

<p>Linebacker Owen Pappoe (#0) goes for a tackle in a match of Auburn vs PSU on Sep. 17, 2022.</p>

Linebacker Owen Pappoe (#0) goes for a tackle in a match of Auburn vs PSU on Sep. 17, 2022.

Auburn fans filed toward the exits as Penn State freshman running back Nicholas Singleton scurried to the end zone for a 54- yard run, its fifth rushing touchdown of the game.

Auburn has long been a program that prides itself in its stout defense and holding opposing offenses to minimal yards running the ball. But Saturday night, Big Ten foe Penn State rolled into town and out rushed Auburn by 126 yards (245-119).

Against Mercer, Auburn allowed 74 rushing yards. Against San Jose State, the Tigers only surrendered 54 rushing yards. It was a different story versus the No. 22 team in the country and their duo of freshman backs.

Singleton almost ran for the combined yardage between Mercer and San Jose State by himself with 124 yards and two TDs on just 10 carries.

“(Singleton) is a really great running back,” said Auburn linebacker Owen Pappoe. “He’s been flashing off these past two weeks versus Purdue and Ohio, so he’s a really good back. Salute to him. We were out of our gaps a lot and had some misfits. We just have to do better on defense, execute and do our jobs better.”

Kaytron Allen, another true freshman running back, accounted for 52 rushing yards and got in the end zone twice more.

The duo combined for four rushing touchdowns. Penn State’s other touchdown was also a run, but it came from quarterback Sean Clifford.

As a team, Penn State ran for 245 yards and scored all five of its touchdowns on the ground. It is the most rushing yards Auburn has allowed since it gave up 267 against Georgia State.

Penn State had five rushes considered “big plays,” which are rushes that gain 10 or more yards. Three of those rushes went for 54, 53 and 30 yards each. To make matters worse, Auburn had just three tackles for loss and did not record a single sack or even get credited with a QB hurry.

As a result, Penn State dropped 41 points in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Auburn only gave up 40 or more points once last year, against Mississippi State.

Offensively, the run game faltered equally.

Auburn ran for 119 yards, its season low. While Auburn had seven runs considered “big plays,” only one went over 20 yards - a 28-yard run from Robby Ashford when the game was already decided in the fourth quarter.

The Tigers’ 119 yards came on 36 carries, creating a measly 3.3 yards per carry. Auburn’s total rushing yardage means that Singleton ran for more yards on 26 less carries.

Of the 36 total rushes, 20 came from quarterbacks T.J. Finley or Ashford, as the two combined for just 50 rushing yards.

Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter, who have been Auburn’s most dangerous playmakers offensively, carried the ball just 14 times - something that head coach Bryan Harsin voiced his displeasure about.

“We want to get Tank (Bigsby) the ball, we want to get Jarquez (Hunter) the ball,” Harsin said. “We want to run the ball.”

For a team that knows its best shot to win is through running the football, putting itself in must-pass situations is not a recipe to win. Head coach Bryan Harsin acknowledged that throwing the ball 38 times was not a part of his plan, and they were forced into playing that way.

“We got behind and we had to throw the football,” Harsin said.

Auburn can reestablish its run game and start SEC play strong next Saturday with Missouri, who got out rushed by 141 yards in week two against Kansas State.

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Penn State big winners in ground game versus Auburn” on social media.