This fall's must-watch list

<p>A student watches a movie on Netflix with a bowl of popcorn on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

A student watches a movie on Netflix with a bowl of popcorn on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Now that the Alabama fall has begun, Auburn students can finally cuddle up with their coziest blanket, prepare their favorite pumpkin-spiced snacks and start a movie night. For those looking for inspiration for what to watch or re-watch, this list contains Auburn students’ favorite fall movies and series.

Hocus Pocus 

Need a break from the horror-filled movies that Halloween normally brings? Look no further than Hocus Pocus. 

“It’s a classic," said Demi Hester, junior in neuroscience.

For Rachael Hamilton, graduate student in communication studies, "Hocus Pocus" fits perfectly in October. 

“Since it's spooky season, it feels very fitting to watch a movie about witches,” said Hamilton. 

There’s good news for those who liked the first film: "Hocus Pocus 2" came out Sept. 30, right in time for this year’s fall season. 

Halloweentown 

This Disney Channel original tells the story of Marnie, a 13-year-old teenage girl who finds out that she has magical powers. She follows her witch grandmother to a magical town, Halloween town, where they try to solve a mystery. For those planning a movie marathon, Halloween town has three sequels. "Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s revenge," "Halloweentown High" and "Return to Halloweentown" continue telling Marnie’s adventures.

“It’s a classic Disney Halloween series and there’s a lot of them”, said AnnMarie Yednak, graduate student in communications. She explains how she can recommend watching any 2000s Disney movie: “They feel nostalgic” said Yednak. 

Charlie Brown movies: It’s the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

The Peanuts celebrate Halloween! In "It's the Great Pumkin, Charlie Brown" Linus spends the night at a pumpkin patch, trying to prove that the Great Pumpkin who delivers presents to children all across the world is real.

"It’s the Great Pumpkin reminds me of my childhood when I really enjoyed Halloween. It’s an all-time classic,” says Weston Ball, junior in public relations. 

In "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" we get to see the Peanut's heartwarming Thanksgiving celebration, that has students looking forward to their own family's Thanksgiving dinner.

Harry Potter 

The Harry Potter series is made for movie marathons. With eight movies in this series, Harry, Hermione and Ron’s adventures will entertain viewers for as long as they want to escape into the magical world of Hogwarts. 

“It goes well with the gloomy weather and the state I'm in, considering the entire Harry Potter seems like it was shot during fall,” said Jerome Joshi, graduate student in finance. 

When Harry Met Sally 

For those looking for lighter entertainment, "When Harry Met Sally" is a go-to. Watch Harry and Sally slowly fall in love in this romantic comedy. Aubrey Celmer, senior in apparel merchandising, loves the movie because it gives all the autumn vibes. 

“Part of it is set in New York City in the fall, so it just makes me happy,” said Celmer. 

Gilmore Girls 

Get ready to binge-watch Lorelai and Rory’s everyday-life in this feel-good series. 

“I like watching "Gilmore Girls" in the fall because it reminds me of my family,” said Ainsley McCormick, graduate student in communications. 

Henna Freisleben, senior in business administration, agrees, adding that she enjoys seeing the beautiful Connecticut fall scenery throughout the show. 

New Girl 

This sitcom takes us into the funny, sometimes awkward but always affectionate interactions and growing friendship between Jess and her three male roommates. New Girl is a light, entertaining show for when students need a good laugh on a dark autumn day. 

“It’s a goofy show with likable characters,” said Eamon Smith, senior in journalism and history.

Once Upon a Time 

The mysterious vibe and fantasy setting make this adventure-packed series the perfect fall watch. The series streamed on ABC for seven seasons and brings nostalgia for many Auburn students. 

“Once Upon a Time brings me back to my childhood”, said Jolie Bishop, junior in marketing. 

The Americans 

Here comes an absolute insider tip for those who like a bit more action: "The Americans" is a captivating drama about a spy couple in Washington DC. Packed with nail-biting scenes, this series has students ready to binge-watch a whole season. 

“It’s pretty tense television and the writing is great,” said Smith. 

American Horror Story 

For those not in the Halloween mood yet, "American Horror Story" is sure to give students the chills. The award-winning series continues to be one of the most successful shows on American television. Sarah Hines, senior in psychology, appreciates the show’s success and yearly continuation.

“I like that a new season always comes out in October,” said Hines.

Share and discuss “This fall's must-watch list” on social media.